Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Sean Juan

Fly Fishing Only Waters

Does anyone know if it is generally legal to fish in fly-fishing only waters with spinning gear, a casting bubble, and a fly as the terminal tackle?

SJ

I'm not so sure. I'm pretty sure that some places in my neck of the woods(MA) require a conventional fly rod, reel, and line. It'd be bestt o check with your state's game and fisherie department, they should have a website that will tell you specific rules for the specific body of water you plan to fish. Hope this helps.

Cheers

Mr. Jingles

Thats wild, you would think there would not be some many rules. If the water is for fly fishing only you should be able to use what ever you want too to cast a fly. I think that there would be alot of red tape if one had to go to court.

QUOTE (Mr. Jingles @ Feb 1 2005, 02:45 PM)
I'm not so sure. I'm pretty sure that some places in my neck of the woods(MA) require a conventional fly rod, reel, and line. It'd be bestt o check with your state's game and fisherie department, they should have a website that will tell you specific rules for the specific body of water you plan to fish. Hope this helps.

Cheers

Mr. Jingles

Here in Michigan it goes by the fly not the rod used, its common practice for many guys to fish steelies with a spin rod/fly combo.Could be different state by state though so like jingels said check with your local DNR.

luvinblugills, You had better check your book on Pa. fly fishing only water's are just that No spinning rods. The delayed harvest ,and some other water's also alow spinning rods . Good fishing Chuck

Chuck e is right.

Delayed Harvest streams in Pa can be access by a spinning rod.

The Heritiage trout streams are Fly fishing only.

Better check your regs for your state. In Washington state, you have to use a floating fly line attached to a fly reel, and you must fish an unweighted fly (eyes can only be used IF it's an intregal part of the pattern). So in my state, you'd be illegal using a bobber and spinning reel. So best to check what your regs say.

D'OH!

I just doublechecked and you guys are right. I goofed. Thanks for correcting me on that before I got somebody in trouble! wallbash.gif

DELAYED HARVEST FLY-FISHING ONLY-2005

Fishing may be done with artificial flies and streamers constructed of natural or synthetic materials, so long as all flies are constructed in a normal fashion on a single hook with components wound on or about the hook. Anything other than these items is prohibited.

Fishing must be done with tackle limited to fly rods, fly reels and fly line with a maximum of 18 feet in leader material or monofilament line attached. Spinning, spincast and casting rods and reels are prohibited.

HERITAGE TROUT ANGLING-2005

Fishing may be done with artificial flies and streamers constructed of natural or synthetic materials, so long as all flies are constructed in a normal fashion on a single barbless hook with components wound on or about the hook. Anything other than these items is prohibited.

Fishing must be done with tackle limited to fly rods, fly reels and fly line with a maximum of 18 feet in leader material or monofilament line attached. Spinning, spincast and casting rods and reels are prohibited.

PA regs

We also have the Delayed Harvest Artificial only streams in PA.

DELAYED HARVEST ARTIFICIAL LURES ONLY-2005

Fishing may be done with artificial lures only constructed of metal, plastic, rubber, or wood, or with flies and streamers constructed of natural or synthetic materials. All such lures may be used with spinning or fly fishing gear.

The use or possession of any natural bait, baitfish, fishbait, bait paste and similar substances, fish eggs (natural or molded) or any other edible substance is prohibited.

Regulations wallbash.gif wallbash.gif help.gif

Virginia is very vague on these laws the game wardens won't even mail you back about simple questions you have. Blasted Commonwealth. Even though I do wrk for the state!

FM

Its New Hampshire that I was curious about. Called the number on the website and the lady said to email...emailed and the reply said to call...

Asking because a guy I fish with is planning a camping trip this summer and wants to bring his kid - personally I'd just teach the kid to fly fish.

QUOTE (Sean Juan @ Feb 3 2005, 11:05 AM)
Got an answer.

In New Hampshire Fly Fishing only waters can only be fished with conventional fly fishing gear.

I like that answer.

From what era? these rules amuse me because they are so controversial. does that mean that you can or cant throw your line by hand?

Teaching the child to fly fish, Im with you on that. If they cant or dont want to learn, with the bobber spinning set at least they can remain interested.