Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
outdoorsmanfool

couple questions.

Well, i have been trying to tie some sculpin minnows with the sculpin helmet, now my problem comes when fishing them. I tie it with zonker strips for the tail and tie it down at the bend, then i twist the zonker strip up to the eye of the hook but enough room for the head, but when i finish the fly it spin's around the hook and that is causing a problem and i am not sure how i can fix this. i would put glue on the hook before i twist it around but i don't want the hair to stick to it... but anyways any advice? and also when fly fishing for bass do you normally fish near shallow waters? Hope i was descriptive enough.

Thanks, Nick.

I don't usually tie Zonkers, too heavy for my liking. I tend to use lighter flies on an intermediate line. I did have to learn to tie them in a couple of classes I took. They taught me to tie them by tying the strip in at the bend, and then wrapping it down on the top of the hook creating a ribbed body. Not sure what you mean by twisting the strip. Are you wrapping the strip around the shank? If you are then, make sure you have a good thread base. I would use a gel type super glue and put a light coat on the thread base. Carefully wrap the strip around the shank.stroking the fur back as you wrap which should keep it from sticking.

I'm usually wading or fishing from the bank when I fish for bass, so I am fishing for them in shallow water. This one I caught in three or four feet of water.

post-309-0-75056000-1402883041_thumb.jpg

Even when I do fish from a boat, we target shallow water. 2 to 8 feet usually near structure or points.

I don't usually tie Zonkers, too heavy for my liking. I tend to use lighter flies on an intermediate line. I did have to learn to tie them in a couple of classes I took. They taught me to tie them by tying the strip in at the bend, and then wrapping it down on the top of the hook creating a ribbed body. Not sure what you mean by twisting the strip. Are you wrapping the strip around the shank? If you are then, make sure you have a good thread base. I would use a gel type super glue and put a light coat on the thread base. Carefully wrap the strip around the shank.stroking the fur back as you wrap which should keep it from sticking.

I'm usually wading or fishing from the bank when I fish for bass, so I am fishing for them in shallow water. This one I caught in three or four feet of water.

attachicon.gifP5170085.JPG

Even when I do fish from a boat, we target shallow water. 2 to 8 feet usually near structure or points.

Yes, i meant wrapping, and what fly did you catch that on? and what are some good choice of flies to make? cause i normally fish edge of Lilly pads it is just every fly i try to make it just goes wrong and doesn't turn out right and it gets really aggravating too me. Thank you for the tips though.

What you are describing doesn't sound like a Zonker. On a Zonker the fur strip is tied across the back of the fly extending further back to form the tail. It is not wrapped around the hook.

The problem of the tail wrapping around the bend of the hook is not unique to you. Various solutions to this have been suggested. A loop of mono tied in under the tail to create a platform to hold the tail up is one. Stiffening the skin for a short distance (about 1/4") from the hook is another. What I have found works is to tie a wire but before the tail, then tie in the tailing material hard up against the but. This throws the tail up a little keeping it from fouling. Here is an example of a long tail on a salmon fly using this technique to stop it wrapping around the hook.

post-43582-0-89703700-1402904928_thumb.jpg

If the problem is that the tail is twisting around the hook shank where it is tied in then use a heavier thread, and strip a longer length of skin to tie it in with. Form the good thread base, as Philly suggests, and tie the strip down harder and for a greater length of the hook shank. I would tie it down for the entire length of hook shank that you are going to wind the fur strip over to prevent bumps in the body. If you are trying to tie the tail and body from one strip you will get this problem. Make tail and body from separate pieces.

Sorry can't help with the other question. No bass here!

Cheers,

C.