Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
MarineFlyFish

Provo River

I was wondering if we have any Provo River fishers here and what nymphs is everyone tying up for the fishing right now? Tight lines!!

I have fished the Provo for many years (since 65,) I will be fishing it again today. Right now the PMDs are hatching on the lower part of the Middle Provo, A size 18 or 16 flash back Pheasant Tail will work. Right now fish are keying in on the PMD hatch, and taking the nymphs all day, and the emerging duns later in the day.

Just a bit later this month, the Green Drakes will be starting. A dark gray-green hares ear in size 10 is a good match. These nymphs are almost 1 inch long, and appear dark gray.

There are good numbers of green caddis worms in the river, so a green rock roller in size 10 to 14 is always a good one. Small thread midge larva patterns worked last couple of weeks as well. Cased caddis nymphs in size 12 or 14 are often effective.

Sow bugs or cress bugs are also found in the slower parts of the river.

Other good nymphs would be a golden stone fly, I found many of these over the past couple of weeks. Midge larvae in cream, red and black work almost any time, but are exceptionally good in the late fall to early spring. Midge pupae in the same colors will work. Aquatic worms are very prevalent in the river, and are more brown than red.

For the next couple of weeks a 2 nymph setup with a Green Drake and a PMD imitation should work quite well. I have been having good success with the PMDs lately.

Thank you very much for the information. I've only been here a year, but I have had a good amount of success. I'm still trying to learn what the good patterns are for different times of year. Your input has helped considerably.