Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
flyoloco.com

Making The Most of Summer Vacation.. Tying Shad Flies.

Summer vacations are for spending time with the family, bbq's, the beach, mini golf with the kids....and tying flies! It's been refreshing to have the time (and energy) to experiment with some new material and restock the inventory. Best fly of day 1 is a shad pattern I put together based on a color pattern of one of the top selling bass crankbaits in the bass pro catalog.. With 40 variations I have alot more to try.

post-53139-0-71291800-1403576292_thumb.jpg

Nice tie. I do the same thing. I'll browse Bass Pro or some of the other catalogs I get and check out the lure colors to see what might work. I do it mainly for poppers, slider and crease flies. but will pick up some for bait fish patterns. I like Fire Tiger for both. I was sorting through my lures for my Canadian trip next month, I try to do 50-50 fly fishing and spin fishing, and like my flies I bring way too many with me. So what I did was see which lures and the most teeth marks on them and they're going with me. The most chewed up ones had a dark purple back, fading to a lighter purple. So I'm working on some bait fish patterns and Crease Flies with that color combination.

WOW...That is a beautiful fly! I've tried to tie those type of flies and I am not worth a darn at tying them.

I own a couple cranks in that colour combo and they are awesome, I have no doubt that fly will slay some bass!