Fly Tying
Christopher K

Furled dubbing loop flies

I've been playing around with Geezus lizards and texas ringworms lately and am really liking this technique, I was just wondering if there are any other popular patterns that use them? Or has anyone on here designed patterns themselves that use the method?

I made one where right in the middle of the loop I threaded it through a foam ball, then dubbed the rest, when furled over the foam is at the end, and you use lots of lead, or dumbbell eyes on the body yo make a bass worm that head stands like a shaky head worm and wiggles with the slightest current or twitch.

I'd like to see photos of both the technique, and your shaky worm, Fisher.

This is what I mean by that Mike. Thanks for the ideas guys, I'll try them out!

Will put together a SBS tonight.

This is what I mean by that Mike. Thanks for the ideas guys, I'll try them out!

Interesting fly, but it seems like a lot of wasted time and material that is going to be lost on some submerged tree limb or rock. Compare this to a Clouser minnow, arguably the most successful fly design ever devised. A hook, dumbbell eyes, bucktails, a little flash and two minutes of tying time. Maybe I'm getting lazy in my old age, but this seems like far too much effort, time and money when there are simpler ways to catch a fish.

Here mike you just put the dumbbell eyes on, the go to back of the fly and make a dubbing loop 3x longer than you want the tail go be. Dub the top half of the loop then thread the foam on it using a needle or bobbin threader. I usually use rounded out pool noodle foam but I had to improvise as I'm out of town. Then dub the bottom half. Twist up and up and up... Then let it furl over with the foam right at the end. Tie it down and dub the body. Whip finish and you're done! It's only 3 inches long but I've tied up to 10inches. Use whatever colors you like, I just used what I had at hand. Lemme know if you tie it and catch a fish on it.

C5ED90B2-1121-414F-A180-96F855BAF0F9_zps

D739B7B8-0441-43DA-9EC0-4DFBB37EEB0A_zps

BE595F74-FD3C-493F-927E-F9167CFA5240_zps

F6B794EC-EC4A-438E-8C0A-D4B6947A72C9_zps

AA1DC545-839D-4121-8CA8-1690AA49132B_zps

That's pretty cool.

Thank you for the demo. I will probably tie up one or more of those this week.

Thanks, that's my first SBS, I'm sorry it's a little sloppy, it was my 5th try and I was getting aggravated, I would get halfway done, then everything would go away and I has to start over 4 times!

7.5 inch worm with the color combo of watermelon seed or red shad works great in lake george, so it might with on the St. John's River too.

Here mike you just put the dumbbell eyes on, the go to back of the fly and make a dubbing loop 3x longer than you want the tail go be. Dub the top half of the loop then thread the foam on it using a needle or bobbin threader. I usually use rounded out pool noodle foam but I had to improvise as I'm out of town. Then dub the bottom half. Twist up and up and up... Then let it furl over with the foam right at the end. Tie it down and dub the body. Whip finish and you're done! It's only 3 inches long but I've tied up to 10inches. Use whatever colors you like, I just used what I had at hand. Lemme know if you tie it and catch a fish on it.

C5ED90B2-1121-414F-A180-96F855BAF0F9_zps

D739B7B8-0441-43DA-9EC0-4DFBB37EEB0A_zps

BE595F74-FD3C-493F-927E-F9167CFA5240_zps

F6B794EC-EC4A-438E-8C0A-D4B6947A72C9_zps

AA1DC545-839D-4121-8CA8-1690AA49132B_zps

Looks good, but needs about 5x that amount of dubbing! Thanks for the SBS.

a great idea for sure. it just doesn't pass the kool-aid test for me. cool looking fly, great action, but a mess to cast and fish. i keep having a problem with the tail getting wrapped around the hook.

i'll second clouser minnows as a choice over this style.

I did this and twisted everything like it said an all my dubbing just bunched up in big knot when I let go in the end and came untwisted I'm not sure what I did wrong I pulled all the dubbing out and put it back an said heck with that

Stilljerkin ... just take a piece of rope or thick thread, about 6 inches long.

Twist it a little, then move the two ends together. Almost every time, right in the middle, it will curl around itself and create a "furled" loop. If you twist it too much, it will double up on itself and lose the single spiral. If you don't twist it enough, it will stop spiraling before you get the two ends together.

Done right, it will be spiraled together, and the twist in the line will keep it that way. But most times, you can't just "let go" of the ends, because it will untwist. You need to secure the loose ends with tape or glue ... or just trap it under a weight, until you are ready to tie it on.