Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Soul fly

What's up from Slapout, AL.

Well I've come to the conclusion that if I don't start reaching out for help I'll just continue to suck at what I love to do. I've been flicking fur, feathers, and foam for about three years now, targeting mostly largemouth bass and whatever else tends to stumble across and accidentally get hooked by whatever it is I'm throwing. I feel a little out of place but always seem to draw a crowd when I whoop out the old 9' 8wt. I mostly get comments like "goin craaapie feesh'n is ya" until I show them 5-8 lbs. 20" fish I've so braggishly saved on my stupid smart phone (by the way I'm still trying to figure this thing out).

I've come to a point in fly fishing to where I have no confidence in what I tie or throw. The problem here locally is that I know no one that fly fishes and trying to find some mentorship is like trying to find an honest politician. They near about don't exist. I seen a post with a dude from Auburn, Al. and another one from "South" AL. Glad to see someone else that fly fishes in the state of Alabama.

Welcome to the band of fishers. I see you live close to Martin Lake... must be great fishing there! Hopefully a member from your area will contact you... you're in the right place. There's bound to be a member nearby.

And you're bound to get good advice from among our many expert tyers. Just ask and everyone will answer. I suggest you spend some time looking through potentially helpful topics in the recent threads. Many of the questions new members ask have been asked over and over again in the past. I've gotten more than just good advice and answers to my questions... I also get stimulated by the amazing work some of our tyers post. My list of flies that I intend to tie some day keeps growing longer!

Happy tying and fishing!

I put "Slapout, AL" in Google Earth, and it takes me to Holtville, AL. If that's correct, then you have a Bass Pro Shop just north of Montgomery, which doesn't look too far from you.

But you might be surprised at how many fly anglers you have in your area, with all the water there. Look online, and look in the yellow pages for clubs and shops.

Welcome to the site ... and there are lots of friendly people here that can answer most of your questions. These are fishermen, though, so some of the advise might be a bit ... tall tale-ish.

Mike, apparently Holtville and Slapout are synonymous. May be some old place name. Anyway apparently Slap doesn't know how to follow his own thread, so he doesn't seem to be aware of our posts.