Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
PeterMan

Lure won't retrieve straight

I made a trout lure which is basically size 10 hook, marabou, chenille body with dumbbell eyes and I weighted it by using some lead wire wraps, I made two the same but when I tried them out I noticed that they are both not coming In upright for example they are leaning over to one side and showing more of the chenille from the side if you get what I mean. I realise it must be a weight balance problem but any ideas of how to resolve, I have had this problem before when tying vivas

Maybe your dumb elks aren't centered right. Try adding a thoroughly of a buoyant material like bucktail, and making sure the dumbbells are centered on top of the hook shank.

Hook bends actually make a lousy keel, I am finding.

We often tie a fly that we think is going to be a great streamer, and have too much material on it. Or the eyes are positioned incorrectly. Or the materials are positioned wrong. If pulled slowly, they look great, right there beside you. But then we cast them and watch them as we retrieve them. Low and behold, they are riding sideways every time you strip it fast.

Watch an injured minnow, they actually do that too, so it might be a desired trait that will trigger strikes. But I've found that using less material, gives a more life like appearance AND allows the hook bend and point to "keel" better, keeping the fly upright during faster strips.

Thanks for replies, I think you are probably right with too much material in this case maybe the marabou, so I will try some lesser versions