Fly Tying
flyoloco.com

Articulated Bass Jig. Prepping for a Rematch

After getting out fished by a good friend with a box of traditional bass jigs and trailers I took to the vise to come up with an articulated tail on a jig like fly. I think I'm close to calling for a rematch. Any critiques would be appreciated.

post-53139-0-76021000-1409540861_thumb.jpg

post-53139-0-99604800-1409541022_thumb.jpg

post-53139-0-09435600-1409541424_thumb.jpg

You're a sick, sick individual! Reminds me of myself! rolleyes.gif

That's a great looking jig/fly! wub.png

I do the same as you & have made many flies based on lure designs over the years! It's a sickness we share! You got to think differently for bass sometimes!

I like olive jigs & flies, but if I was you I would be making a few in black & blue, and perhaps some in a rusty orange craw color too! biggrin.png

Looks like a killer pattern. In order for a fly to be able to compete with a traditional jig, the weight is probably a bigger consideration than the pattern. Those jigs are anywhere between 1/4 oz to 1 oz with most of them being fished in the 3/8 to 1/2 oz range. The key to the weight is that the jig can fall through all of the junk (weedlessly) into the strike zone. That's pretty hard to accomplish with a fly. The jig is also pretty weedless and can be retrieved through all of the wood, weeds, and slop in a hopping crawfish manner.

I love fishing for bass just as much as I love fishing for trout, but when I chase buckets I throw conventional gear 95% of the time. Not saying that fly fishing for bass isn't fun or effective in certain bite situations, but there are lots of times when you need weight and girth in order to get them interested. I have no interest in hucking 1/2 oz weight with a fly rod.

I have no interest in hucking 1/2 oz weight with a fly rod.

Come on man, where's your sense of adventure? rolleyes.gif

I like fishing in the snags for bass & use some heavy flies with a 10 wt, but agree with you about weight & size. I fish around spadderdock pads & downed timber with flies, but in really dense vegetation flies are mostly ineffective. Even average weight jigs, as you've mentioned in the 1/4 to 1 oz range may not be enough to penetrate those thick mats. Then, the best approach is with heavy conventional gear and very heavy punching type weights. Not something I would want to try with a fly rod either! sad.png

I like fishing in the snags for bass & use some heavy flies with a 10 wt, but agree with you about weight & size. I fish around spadderdock pads & downed timber with flies, but in really dense vegetation flies are mostly ineffective. Even average weight jigs, as you've mentioned in the 1/4 to 1 oz range may not be enough to penetrate those thick mats. Then, the best approach is with heavy conventional gear and very heavy punching type weights. Not something I would want to try with a fly rod either! sad.png

I totally agree. When people say that they can tie a fly to replicate any conventional lure I always ask to see their punching rig... Gets them every time.

yeah...there is a time and a place for conventional gear and fly gear alike, but I also totally understand wanting to out fish a buddy on fly gear so good luck!

It's definitely not going to punch through a heavy mat. I may actually tie it in a smaller version thats not so tough to cast and focus on edges and holes and see how it goes.

That is probably how I would approach it as well. Also, have you thought of tying similar patterns on jig heads for use with conventional gear? you could tie basically the same pattern on this style head and use the conventional gear if need be. Even when I use gear I still like to create my own lures or in this case jigs. It can be just as rewarding.

That is probably how I would approach it as well. Also, have you thought of tying similar patterns on jig heads for use with conventional gear? you could tie basically the same pattern on this style head and use the conventional gear if need be. Even when I use gear I still like to create my own lures or in this case jigs. It can be just as rewarding.

Exactly... I did some perch out of craft fur and bucktail for some guys that wanted bucktail jigs and they were blown away. My vise sees a fair amount of 4/0 jigs to tie skirts on...

I totally agree. When people say that they can tie a fly to replicate any conventional lure I always ask to see their punching rig... Gets them every time.

no argument at all, but in the end you're only chasing largemouths..... LOLOL kind of like carp, if that's all you've got then you have to make due. Trout are for people who don't have bass, and Largemouths are for people who don't have Smallmouths...