Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
TheCream

Smallmouth vs 1wt

You've got some "hutzpah" fishing that much wood with a 1 weight. Looks like fun, though.

Is that Polish for brazen stupidity? wink.png

LOL ... That's possible ... I don't even know if it's spelled correctly.

I used to have an old neighbor, when I was young, who used to compliment kids who did something "brave" or different or what ever. He was a great inspiration for the heighborhood, and everyone loved him.

Back then, parents didn't worry about guys teaching kids how to throw or run or fish. He used "hutzpah", and "gung ho" (which I learn again as a Marine), and "souse", and a dozen other words and phrases I can't remember.

Use that 1wt and enjoy. I once say a fella bring a large carp to hand with a 3wt and it did not take an excessive fight time. The major limiting factor is tippet size not the rod size. .....You will lose a few because of the rod but one never brings them all to hand anyway. How do they bring a 150# tarpon to hand with a 11wt rod? It does take some skill. I doubt that many of us will go hungry if we lose a fish or two.

Use that 1wt and enjoy. I once say a fella bring a large carp to hand with a 3wt and it did not take an excessive fight time. The major limiting factor is tippet size not the rod size. .....You will lose a few because of the rod but one never brings them all to hand anyway. How do they bring a 150# tarpon to hand with a 11wt rod? It does take some skill. I doubt that many of us will go hungry if we lose a fish or two.

Streamer fishing with it I tend to use 4X fluorocarbon. It's small enough stuff I don't feel like I am using excessive tippet but has enough strength to land fish like these and handle a little abrasion.