Fly Tying
Nick Williams

Duck Season is here!

I skin them. Pin them to a board skin side out. Use an old tablespoon to take the fat off. Rub in Borax and let them dry.

Wood duck is the most common duck I shoot. Followed by Gadwall and Mallard.

When you see an entire skin, you will see possibilities that never existed in a fly tying shop display board.

I have been on public land and came out to the parking area when other hunters came out. If they were going to just breast their ducks, I offered to do it for them and kept the carcass (being careful not to exceed my limit). My friend who doesn't duck hunt has been known to buy a duck stamp and brings a fillet knife and ziplock bags to service the hunters to get the best ducks and unique ones for salmon fly tying.

If you have too many, donate them to your fishing group or veteran's fishing group like Healing Waters. Give them to a non-hunting friend. Send me a full coot or Puple Gallinule with wings as a gift.

I keep a few Gadwall flanks for my sculpins and some cdc from the oil glands on Mallards.

sculpins.jpg

I love that crayfish pattern, it looks a lot better than the one I was planning to tie...More realistic, (to me anyways) and looks like it would hold up better. Thanks for posting the pic!