Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Steeldrifter

Simms Exstream gloves

Steve

I use KAST gloves for wet weather. wouldn't have near as much dexterity as fingerless gloves but they are pretty nice. The ones I have are for steelhead fishing although obviously we have no steelhead in southern Kentucky. This weekend I used Jon- e handwarmers that run off lighter fluid. They were cheap 20 bucks and I really liked them. I ran my cold hand in a pouch when they got cold and it was great. Awesome fish you posted by the way.

Being fingerless is a very key thing in fly fishing gloves so the KAST ones won't work for me, but thanks for the feedback Dan. I have numerous pairs of winter steelhead gloves right now that I use but I'm just looking to upgrade to the best ones I can find for this winter that offer fingerless, dexterity, warmth when wet, and under $50 so the Simms seem to fit the bill but just want to make sure they still offer warmth when wet before I buy them. My current Simms fleece fingerless ones I love, all except for the fact that fleece does not offer warmth when wet and takes forever to dry. Mine are still wet from the PA trip on Saturday lol.

Hi Steve,

These gloves feel like they are the same material as the windstopper fingerless and fingerless w/mitt from last year. The major difference other than color, is those 2 orange straps that go across the middle and ring finger to get them off easier. I own the windstoppers from last year and I checked the new ones out at the shop and decided not to buy them since they were basically the same gloves. If you own the all fleece model though, the Exstream is definitely a warmer/nicer glove.

Also look into the Simms Exstream flex glove. It looks and feels pretty serious. Full finger glove, but the index finger, middle finger, and thumb pop out of a little hole on the top for knot tying. If I buy anything new this year it will probably be these.

Thanks switch. Yep mine are currently the 100% fleece Simms ones. I actually was talking to a guy on the stream in PA Saturday who had the flex Simms with the flip back fingers and was looking them over. I'm not sure about the flip fingers though, seems like line could get wrapped on the finger when flipped back maybe but not sure. I think those are only about $20 more than the Exstream.

Defiantly going to get one of those two for this winter just not sure yet which one. How is the warmth with your windstopper ones when they are wet? Do they wring out pretty well?

Thanks switch. Yep mine are currently the 100% fleece Simms ones. I actually was talking to a guy on the stream in PA Saturday who had the flex Simms with the flip back fingers and was looking them over. I'm not sure about the flip fingers though, seems like line could get wrapped on the finger when flipped back maybe but not sure. I think those are only about $20 more than the Exstream.

Defiantly going to get one of those two for this winter just not sure yet which one. How is the warmth with your windstopper ones when they are wet? Do they wring out pretty well?

I love them. I have the model with the flip over mitt, which has made the difference between going in and warming up many times. They wring out great, to the point where they actually feel dry after submerging your hands after landing a fish. They seem to dry off really fast as well.

Keen to hear your experience to on this too. I was using seal skinz gloves which are full finger but very waterproof (untill punctured) so keep you dry and warm.

These new simms have all the blurb but I've never found a neoprene type glove that was warm when wet.

I need some new gloves for this year and a friend is bringing back some buff angler gloves from states for me but I don't think they will be warm for the spring fishing.

Make sure they go straight in an icy bucket and then infront of a fan and feed back how blue you hands are.