Here are the jigs that I use in the first part of the season:

troutline-tactical-peeping-caddis-nymph-

troutline-tactical-uv-pulsant_2-jig-nymp

troutline-tactical-march-brown-special-j

troutline-tactical-pink-tag-cdc-jig-nymp

I'm curious what you guys use in Spring time smile.png

best,

Lucian

As I posted the other day in Ohren's topic I don't use jig hooks to achieve the attitude of a jig hook. They are an expense I can do without. If you attach a nymph with a turle knot, threading your fly from the "wrong" side of the eye it will fish as a nymph tied on a jig hook will. The only adjustment that needs to be made is to tie the fly short of the eye to give a small space to accommodate the turle knot. This is easy to do if you use the same method I do to partially cover the bead.

JigSub_0004_zpsff159778.jpg

JigSub_0006_zps78f521ce.jpg

When I fish short line nymphs I tie the nymphs on in this manor. If I use a dry fly / nymph set up I use the same nymphs tied on in the standard method.

Here is one of those tied on to fish as a jig (on line that is rather too light, but it gives you the idea).

JigSub_0003_zps81b816f9.jpg

Though I play around with lots of patterns there are two I keep coming back to time and again. These are my favourites by dint of success.

In early spring, that would be from March 15th for about four weeks, I rarely fish nymphs. On the rivers of the north of England there is usually a hatch a little after mid day, During that hatch you can catch on or close to the surface. The rest of the time the trout just don't feed. If you are very lucky, and search intently you may pick up the odd fish. Probably because you have banged it on the nose with your nymph, and the trout has snapped at it.

On opening day on the river Ribble one year we arrived mid morning. Sat on the bench and got the stove out for a cup of coffee. Several times someone arrived and asked if they could nymph through the pool. We happily waved them through, none caught anything. At about 12:45 one angler was fishing through when we heard the first rise. It was only a yard or two behind the angler. My friend picked up his rod and cast his size 14 Dry Greenwell's to it. Hooked the fish on the second drift past it. The angler was not happy about having a fish taken from water he had just nymphed through.

Things may vary where you are but this is just the way it is where I fished.

Cheers,

C.

I really love to fish jig hooks, especially as they are less likely to snag versus other styles. Most of the patterns I tie on them are "in the round," and I consider them to be great go-to patterns.

TC

Here are some I really love to tie and fish:

Link to "Ginger Snap" fly:

Other than "Balanced Leeches", I do not fish jigs much for trout. Plan on experimenting more, but those jig hooks are so darn expensive still, not in much of a hurry. Have a sample pack of "new" (to me) Daiichi jig hooks I'll be experimenting with, models #4647 (black nickel) and #4640. Problem with jig hooks is the expense, which is problematic for something I'm going to lose a lot of by fishing deep in the rocks.

Check out The Fly Shack. They have 100 packs of barbless jig hooks at very reasonable prices. I have been playing around with them for a couple of months are have been pleased with their quality.

Steve

Here's a few frenchies I tied on a sz 10 umpqua competition jig hook.

Was thinking more along the lines of steelhead for these.

post-45335-0-62140600-1421627341_thumb.jpg

As I posted the other day in Ohren's topic I don't use jig hooks to achieve the attitude of a jig hook. They are an expense I can do without. If you attach a nymph with a turle knot, threading your fly from the "wrong" side of the eye it will fish as a nymph tied on a jig hook will. The only adjustment that needs to be made is to tie the fly short of the eye to give a small space to accommodate the turle knot. This is easy to do if you use the same method I do to partially cover the bead.

JigSub_0004_zpsff159778.jpg

When I fish short line nymphs I tie the nymphs on in this manor. If I use a dry fly / nymph set up I use the same nymphs tied on in the standard method.

Here is one of those tied on to fish as a jig (on line that is rather too light, but it gives you the idea).

Though I play around with lots of patterns there are two I keep coming back to time and again. These are my favourites by dint of success.

In early spring, that would be from March 15th for about four weeks, I rarely fish nymphs. On the rivers of the north of England there is usually a hatch a little after mid day, During that hatch you can catch on or close to the surface. The rest of the time the trout just don't feed. If you are very lucky, and search intently you may pick up the odd fish. Probably because you have banged it on the nose with your nymph, and the trout has snapped at it.

On opening day on the river Ribble one year we arrived mid morning. Sat on the bench and got the stove out for a cup of coffee. Several times someone arrived and asked if they could nymph through the pool. We happily waved them through, none caught anything. At about 12:45 one angler was fishing through when we heard the first rise. It was only a yard or two behind the angler. My friend picked up his rod and cast his size 14 Dry Greenwell's to it. Hooked the fish on the second drift past it. The angler was not happy about having a fish taken from water he had just nymphed through.

Things may vary where you are but this is just the way it is where I fished.

Cheers,

C.

I agree with you, the position of jig hooks can be easy replaced using that knot. A few years ago when jig hooks was not available in market I used a lead bead or a brass bead mounted external to change the gravity center of the fly.

I use jigs mainly in Spring time when water are very big and is difficult to go down and when the bottom is full with big stones. I prefer to use light nymphs but not all the time is possible :)

AIn East Europe we use also jigs nymphs tied with tails - some kind of hybrid between a twister and a fly. Not for purist fly fishermen but big trout will eat these flies first. Also you can add a lot of movement on these flies if you make one turn of partridge or other hackle and will not behave like a "rock" :)

cheers,

Lucian

SENICEHARE-1-_zps22b3aeef.jpg

OCCADLARVAGRP-1-_zps74659ee1.jpg

...and about 75 more...

PT/TB

Very nice indeed! These from "quote" are perfect for staring season here in Lombardia - Italy :)

cheers

L