Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
beardofprey

Hello from Indy

Welcome Beard. Let us know more about you... after all, our souls are laid bare for all to see in our profiles. If you're just learning, then this is the place to be! Lots of people eager to help.... and some of them even know what they're talking about. The rest of us just pretend, while we're picking up tips. You'll find all kinds of advice from everyone, but my two cents worth: decide what you plan to fish for, and select flies appropriately, but choose flies that are good for learning (don't bite off something too grand right off). Just concentrate on a few simple patterns, and take your time. There are also some good web sites like Flytyersonline that have step by step instructions for basic flies.

Good luck and happy tying!

Thanks for the welcome! I've been fishing for some time now but only in the past 3 or 4 years have I become so obsessed. I got hooked, if you will, on fly fishing while reading about Tenkara and watching tying vids on Youtube. I was lucky to get an Apex vise in December and have been tying since. I really like parachute and paraloop patterns and can't wait to master them all. I hope to learn much and contribute as much as possible.

Welcome Beard! (Great handle, by the way :) ) Where do you fly fish around Indy? I'm up in Michigan, about 3 hours north of the Indiana border. I've heard there is some good smallmouth fishing down your way. There must be trout, too, if you're tying parachutes and paraloops. I've driven through Indiana countless times on my way to Missouri to visit my folks, but I've never stopped or spent any time there.

Anyway, you've found a great community to help you learn about fly tying. There are some fantastic tiers on here, and you'll find that everyone is quite generous and friendly with their advice and commentary.

Cheers,

Bryon

Hey Beard I'm pretty new on here too. So you started tying sometime recent tho? I'm only about 40 minutes from you and always looking for someone to tie with. Right now I'm mainly tying some bugs to prep for the white bass run thats right around the corner. If you haven't done that you need to be sure and tag along this year. Let me know if your interested in cranking out some bugs anytime soon.