Fly Tying
JappyFish

Hook Assortment

Does anyone know of a good assorted hook box or pack that contains numerous hook sizes and styles?

They should really make something similar to a dubbing dispenser but with hooks...

They do, but do you really want to buy them? You would be much better off identifying what patterns you want to tie, in what sizes, and then figuring out (or asking here) which hook best fits the most patterns. Hopefully you will resist the temptation of trying every hook out there in all sizes thereby burying yourself in a ton of hooks that you will never use...not an uncommon occurrence among tiers, I assure you. It is surprising how few hooks you can actually get away with, once you approach the problem from minimizing, not maximizing, then number of hook styles and sizes you really need. Of course, as Flytire pointed out, Eagle Claw, Daiichi, and Dai-Riki all sell hook assortments that if you search around a bit, you should be able to find.

The three assortments that flytire linked to cost about the same per hook. The cost per hook is around 16 cents each. The assortments are limited to a single style of hook, like different dry flies, or different nymph hooks. or different streamer hooks. The dry fly assortment has 2 styles of dry fly hooks in 6 sizes, the nymph assortment would contain 6 sizes of 2 different nymph hooks. You would need to purchase several more depending on just exactly what patterns you would want to tie. The Barlow Tackle assortments have the lowest price, and there are 4 or 5 to choose from.

Jappy,

In the grand scheme of things, hooks are inexpensive. As whatfly said, pick a few sizes that you want to tie flies on and get a few packs.

GCO, the forum sponsor, has a sale on 25 packs of hooks even as I type this. $2.96/25 hooks. 2 sizes of dry fly hooks, 2 sizes of wet fly hooks and 2 sizes of streamer hooks. Somewhere around $20 for 150 hooks.

For dries and wets, I would probably go to size 14 and 12, and probably Size 10 and 6 for the streamers. (Keep in mind that I tie for bream, and I don't want tiny flies. Bream swallow food fast, so it is difficult to get tiny hooks out of tinier mouths. For my own tying I rarely go below a size 12. 10's are more useful for my fishing.

Good luck!

Kirk B.