Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Salmon Trout Steelheader Magazine

I was wondering if anyone gets Salmon Trout Steelheader Magazine because I'm thinking of subscribing but I'm curious to see if the mag covers the great lakes area or mostly the PNW.

I used to, but let it lapse.

It was more geared to the Left Coast guys and tackle fishing with only the occasional article about our side. Most of the articles didn't apply to our style of fishing. Maybe it's changed, since then.

Yea that's what I kinda figured since I haven't seen it in any shops in the area.

Wouldn't it be great to have a Great Lakes Magazine devoted to Steelhead and Salmon!!!!

We used to have one, but it went "belly up"

I think it was called Great Lakes Fisherman or something like that. I still have one of their hats. Based out of Ohio. It would include many trolling articles, both warm and cold-water, but also touched on trib fishing.

STS is still the same as it has always been,like Shoe said it is mostly PNW with the every so often article on the GL's. Its nice to read it every once in awhile but its not real helpful for us over here.

There is one mag that is really pretty cool and it comes out biweekly and is cheap but DAMN if i cant think of the name right now,it covers MI,OH,IN and since its biweekly it is up to date on current runs and times. I'll see if i cant find an old issue and let ya know Will. dunno.gif

SD

Yup, been a subscriber for quite along time, and buying off magazine rack at least 10 years before that. (About 20 years now). Yes, it is a NW magazine mostly. Some GL articles, but it's all on what writers send them. Amato Publication was founded in Oregon and why most of the articles/books published by them focus on the NW. You can get some good techniques, but like was said, alot don't cross over between costs. Actually, I know and have fished with a couple contributors and regular columnists in the magazine.

I read the magazine evewr so often. Like mention above it is more geared towards our brothers in the NW but when there is an article in teh great lakes, I make sure to read it.