Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
banks

Fly fishing trout in Gatlinburg Tennessee

Got a trip booked in july to trout fish in Gatlinburg Tennessee we are from Florida any advice or places of interest to see while we are there . I Would be interested in hearing , Thanks

Gatlinburg very very touristy. Stocked trout in town. Get out of town lots of places to fish along river road. Go up in to elkmont, there fishing and you never been there some interesting history there. Some good books on fly fishing in the smokies, that can tell you where to go. You can get info at the fly shop in town and also check out out little River fly shop in Townsend. LR has fishing reports online. Looking for a guild lookup r&r Ian get on some fish. There are places to fish up high along rt441 on the way to the gap. Tremont good fishing good book store at the school. You can drive till the road end and fish and hike up the old road. There's a trail going off into the woods up there, that take to a old model t car. Lots to do there.

Once again, I have to recommend "takemefishing" online. Just type that into your search engine. Put in the State you're going to, and check for local fishing sites near your desired destination.

I've never fished that side of the Smokies ... but I have fish the North Carolina side many times. Just pick a river, find local access and go wading. Lots of people fish for trout, fewer people fish for Smallmouth, even though they are a blast on fly gear. I'd walk a stretch of the river and catch more Smallies than I could handle. I'd be too sore to fish walking back to the car.

Of course, that was back in the 80's, so it's probably much different now.

Ditto on Townsend. This time of year the river will have a lot smallmouths and a few trout in deep holes but a lot tubers midday. The smokies prongs are right there and Cades Cove is a must visit. Ian at R&R taught me a lot about how to get those little prong trout too. AND stay away from Pigeon Forge unless you like traffic jams worse than I Drive in Orlando.

Please post some photos of the trip for us other flat landers.

banks, when in July will you be there? We'll be there the week of July 18-25, staying right on the Cosby Creek.

Our neighbor is from Tennessee, and he advised staying near Gatlinburg, but not in it since it gets pretty crowded and touristy.

banks, when in July will you be there? We'll be there the week of July 18-25, staying right on the Cosby Creek.

Our neighbor is from Tennessee, and he advised staying near Gatlinburg, but not in it since it gets pretty crowded and touristy.

july 20th we will arrive

Hi thanks for the reply which river will have alot of smallmouths in it , also whats average smallie size in Tennessee

Ditto on Townsend. This time of year the river will have a lot smallmouths and a few trout in deep holes but a lot tubers midday. The smokies prongs are right there and Cades Cove is a must visit. Ian at R&R taught me a lot about how to get those little prong trout too. AND stay away from Pigeon Forge unless you like traffic jams worse than I Drive in Orlando.

Please post some photos of the trip for us other flat landers.

If you have children Dollywood is nice. Eat dinner at the peddler. Hike on the trails. Check www.littleriveroutfitters.com for a daily fishing report. There is a myriad of places to fish. Have fun!

Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg is not only touristy but it is as touristy as it gets. It is a magnet for and 800 mile radius and it is 'the' vacation spot that many visit every year at least once and many several times a year. I have never fished the area but I would like to and I bet the smallmouth fishing is great since trout seems to be the main target.