Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
antonio999us

Turkey biots

Hello again

I am tying some kind of Stone flies which are very efective for fishing trouts down here. They just get crazy with them. I am very close to the season and I want to be prepared.

Last year I bought some goose biots in BassProShop, and also in JannsnetCraft, but they both are very short. I would like to find some biots that are lager than the goose ones.

Some days ago, I watched a video where was used Turkey biots. Can someone give me a tip where to find good Turkey biots or something similar for the Stone fly legs, or maybe, whether you know if there is a good goose biots pr other feather option that I do not know.

Thank you, Antonio

Are you in US or in Europe? If you're in Europe Mistpool do a good range. Flybox (UK) have some very good colours and size.

Turkey in the natural colour is easy enough if you know a hunter friend.

Ah, cannot help with shops but do you have access to macaw parrots?? They have super long fibres and shed feathers so you don't even need to kill any. I know when I was in Chile there were some wild birds in places.

Excellent tip Piker, I will ask someone to get some macaw's feathers for me.... Actually I have not use them before....

They will need a soaking as stiff but very long. If its legal and you can find a whole bird there are some great hackles on them.

Antonio,

Welcome to the forum. If you can find a distributor of Natures Spirit products in your region, they carry nicely dyed turkey biots. You can also check the Feather Craft website, they carry a variety of goose and turkey materials. I don't know if they will ship to you but it can't hurt to ask. Best luck.

Steve

Forget Macaws. Do you have access to peacocks or peafowl? The biots off the brown wing flight feathers are even superior to turkey for length.

Thank you all for your excellent tips... Last week I began to look for some peacocks hackles ... it is not easy, but I put some people looking them for me.

On the other hand, I already reviewed Natures Spirit Flytying page...it is great with lot of products for Fly Tying...thanks a lot for the reference....