Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
michaelray

Hopper Dropper Swapper

Not trying to play special but several of us were just in a bunch of swaps, some going past yours. I have been very busy catching up on all the swaps and life throws other things at us. You were into June already when you posted the dates. If you were to extend send in to something like July 15th and note that in nice red letters on your opening post it might fill up. I'm about caught up except for June monthly swap and no other ones going right now. Your swap involves doing two flies instead of one also. If you did extend it, I'd fill a spot. I just can't commit to end of month. Grandkids from two states are showing up this week for the summer, one pair here today and 3 more on Thursday so time is taken up with good things. I'd also mention two of the kids are sleeping in my fly tying room so no night tying anymore for awhile.

Again, I'm not asking for special treatment for me and if your date is locked fine, just that you might get a few more if you gave it an extra couple of weeks.

Nick

Id say that is pretty reasonable vic. Two of my coworkers at the flyshop have been taking time off and i got a surprise smith river float so I have gotten way behind. If we could move it to the 15th it would really help me out as well.

Not trying to play special but several of us were just in a bunch of swaps, some going past yours. I have been very busy catching up on all the swaps and life throws other things at us. You were into June already when you posted the dates. If you were to extend send in to something like July 15th and note that in nice red letters on your opening post it might fill up. I'm about caught up except for June monthly swap and no other ones going right now. Your swap involves doing two flies instead of one also. If you did extend it, I'd fill a spot. I just can't commit to end of month. Grandkids from two states are showing up this week for the summer, one pair here today and 3 more on Thursday so time is taken up with good things. I'd also mention two of the kids are sleeping in my fly tying room so no night tying anymore for awhile.

Again, I'm not asking for special treatment for me and if your date is locked fine, just that you might get a few more if you gave it an extra couple of weeks.

Nick

Nick, that works for me. I'll be glad to extend the date. Lets shoot for July 15th, giving an extra two weeks. I know how that goes. I'm in three other swaps at various places at the moment as well, plus it's fishing season. Haha.

I'll update accordingly and see what happens!

Id say that is pretty reasonable vic. Two of my coworkers at the flyshop have been taking time off and i got a surprise smith river float so I have gotten way behind. If we could move it to the 15th it would really help me out as well.

J.Z, I'm extending it to the 15th, so if you're in, just let me know!

Actually JZ was in, just appreciates the extra time too. I'll get started on these and should be able to make the date okay. I have never done a hopper but will do something in a high floater with a nice little tag-a-long to drop off it.

ps...For an empty nester to have 5 kids in house from 7-13 is a madhouse for me. After being a bachelor for a month while wife was in MN visiting and vacationing and then to have this madhouse thrust upon us is debilitating to this old man. 'Course I better not complain since it was me who suggested bringing back the 2 from MN with her since she's got to go back for weddings in a month or so. We only have two at night and son has his three. Right now it's almost 11 and I'm still trying to get the 2 to stop talking and sleep. Yeah, right. They've got our two little pups in there with them.

I am in if there is still a spot open this sounds fun, I'll be tying joe's hopper, and a sawyer pheasant tail nymph. Oldies but goodies.

Pica, looks to me like you have the last spot. Not my swap but that's how it looks. For the Rogue and the pica, you guys are both new to the board and our swaps. Make sure you do a little reading and have the basics down. As one who does a lot of swaps I can speak for mMichaelRay on the things we need to make our end of the sorting and reshipping a lot easier. Please put you flies in a container big enough to hold the flies and the toe tags. Make sure your real name and board name are on the container, at least with tape if you don't want to permanently mark them. The addy tags we get from as free gifts from so many people looking for our money work great. Oh yeah, toe tags. Make sure you put toe tags on with your board name. Some get carried and put down name of fly, some even include a recipe. Important to get the board name on there though so people know from whence they came.

Make sure you have a decent self-addressed and stamped return envelope. Cheap legal sized envelopes don't cut it if you really want your flies to get back to you. Lots of ways to do it with smaller return inside bigger sender envelope. Small shipping boxes work well too.

Okay, like I said, this is michaelray's swap so I'll get off my soapbox but doing a lot of swaps I know the things that can help the swapmeister and the things that drive us crazy.

Nick

I am in if there is still a spot open this sounds fun, I'll be tying joe's hopper, and a sawyer pheasant tail nymph. Oldies but goodies.

Pica, you're in the last spot. Thanks for joining!

Pica, looks to me like you have the last spot. Not my swap but that's how it looks. For the Rogue and the pica, you guys are both new to the board and our swaps. Make sure you do a little reading and have the basics down. As one who does a lot of swaps I can speak for mMichaelRay on the things we need to make our end of the sorting and reshipping a lot easier. Please put you flies in a container big enough to hold the flies and the toe tags. Make sure your real name and board name are on the container, at least with tape if you don't want to permanently mark them. The addy tags we get from as free gifts from so many people looking for our money work great. Oh yeah, toe tags. Make sure you put toe tags on with your board name. Some get carried and put down name of fly, some even include a recipe. Important to get the board name on there though so people know from whence they came.

Make sure you have a decent self-addressed and stamped return envelope. Cheap legal sized envelopes don't cut it if you really want your flies to get back to you. Lots of ways to do it with smaller return inside bigger sender envelope. Small shipping boxes work well too.

Okay, like I said, this is michaelray's swap so I'll get off my soapbox but doing a lot of swaps I know the things that can help the swapmeister and the things that drive us crazy.

Nick

Roger, Wilco. Thanks for the informative reply. I am working on frank sawyer and ollie kite flies right now so last night I tied a dozen PT's in the style of frank sawyer of course I will probably tie another dozen for the swap tonight, a very simple pattern with some subtleties. They work just fine in the Americanized form but sawyers dressing is elegant.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=416Os9V84n8

Ants all tied up and decided on dropper of a merging caddis nymph variation that I like to use. Hope to have all tagged up and in the mail next couple days.

Michael, flies are headed your way, just dropped them off in the snailmail with return shipping envelope today. We're we only supposed to send 9 of each? When I looked at the list again it looked like there was 10 of us all together. Well I sent 10 of each, so feel free keep the extra ones for hosting and doing all the work.

My flies are finished and going out Monday. I switched my hopper pattern to a half drowned para-hopper, a great Dropper Hopper. It was fun tying these up..