Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Stilljerkin

mending line??

Ok so today I was dry fly fishing for trout. I don't fish for trout much they just don't put up enough of a fight for me but that's besides the point. Anyways every time I tried to mend the line I would pull my fly under the water. I tried a few different ways of casting an putting slack in the line an that did not help a hole lot. I did catch one brown so i was happy i guess. Think i could of done way better if i could keep it afloat. So how do you guys mend your line without pulling yout fly under. An I was also dressing my fly.

A little flexible glue fixes mine.

But seriously... Start with a longer lighter tippet than you would use for nymphs, streamers etc. Learn to cast S mends or reach casts to start the fly free floating, then throw a little slack in the line and roll you rod tip gently in the direction you want to reposition the line. If you try to mend with a straight line you will move the fly or pull it under. There is also a limit to how long you can free float any fly w/o unnatural movement. Trying to float it overlong is sure to be frustrating. After a good drift, pick it up and recast. Quality drift over the fish rather than looong drift over empty water is the ticket.

Rocco

You need to throw slack INTO the mend. Even when an "in the air" mend is performed, extra line needs to be put into the cast to account for the mend if the fly is to land on target. Your on the water mends will be easier if you first do an in the air mend so the cast that land with extra slack that helps protect against the on the water mend moving the fly.

Read this:

http://www.fisheyesoup.com/article_details/119.html