Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Fisherboy0301

Fly tying bench project.

The gun case looks like it's made from plywood. Working with solid wood is quite a bit different. I really like kennebec12's idea, start small, try a small hand crafted fly box. As time goes on, learn inlay and mosaics and he could do well on here. Practice with light, dark and red woods and simple patterns to start, then build up to intricate inlays and mosaics of custom design and he's got a trade. I would love to see a starter box, and possibly be open to a purchase.

Blane

You're right, the walls, and bottom of the drawer is plywood, rest was pine.

This may be a stupid question, but what do you mean starter box?

I imagine he's referring to a beginner or first try on a box. Sometimes it's harder to sell early works, but practice and patience yield better quality products, and eventually a customer base that speaks highly of the craftsmanship. I don't sell very many of my projects, since I do them mostly because I like to have something to work on and like to have stuff sitting around that I can say "hey I built that from scratch." If your buddy really does like woodworking and want's to pursue it as a trade or something on the side, there are many woodworking guilds/clubs around the country and I'm sure they would love to have a young member and be willing to share knowledge and occasionally tools and use of equipment. I do most of my work by hand since I can't afford thousand dollar band saws and planers, but I'm friends with several woodworkers who have all the tools I could ever dream of and if I really need some wood planed or need to cut out some intricate inlay pieces they are always willing to help me out. When I built my electric guitar, it required far more accuracy than I could get with my hand tools, but between three of my friends I was able to use all the necessary equipment and built a good looking guitar.

Thank you Kennebec. I will suggest it to him and we might very well have it up in the trading floor in the future