Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
SBPatt

Chase's B2 Stealth Bomber SBS

IMG_7470_2_zps0806e57f.jpg

Originally, a Catskill stonefly/attractor from Phil Chase; this should play anywhere.

hook - Dai Riki 280 #8

thread - MFC 6/0 hot orange

abdomen - woodchuck underfur (in spun loop)

wing - woodchuck guard hairs

hackle - brown/grizzly

mash barb, start thread, wrap back to point above barb; double over to create loop (in smaller sizes I'd just use split-thread)

IMG_7456_zpsdc772901.jpg

IMG_7457_zps43758ed5.jpg

insert underfur into the loop, spin (2 blips with the baby formula twister), wrap

IMG_7458_zps25e88d2b.jpg

IMG_6178_zpscf5e71e8.jpg

IMG_7459_zps7e77123a.jpg

IMG_7460_zpse69bc435.jpg

clean (this is where I got the underfur from), stack, measure (tips to bend) a clump of woodchuck guard hairs; tie in, trim butts (brush on some Sally to lock the wing in and cover with thread)

IMG_7462_zpsbd9fdbfa.jpg

IMG_7463_zps29e5deb3.jpg

divide the wing, lock with some x-wraps

IMG_7465_zpsd572c769.jpg

IMG_7466_zps443d1e60.jpg

tie in hackles

IMG_7467_zps1606f72b.jpg

wrap, tie off, trim, half hitch x 2, SHHAN

IMG_7470_2_zps0806e57f.jpg

IMG_7473_zpsa8ca7188.jpg

IMG_7478_zps00ce549f.jpg

IMG_7483_zps29ecc8a6.jpg

Regards,

Scott

Good looking fly .... good SBS. But I am interested in where the name came from.

When I look up "stealth bomber" flies, I get a bunch of pictures like this:

Nothing like yours.

I am not complaining, just curious.

Good looking fly .... good SBS. But I am interested in where the name came from.

When I look up "stealth bomber" flies, I get a bunch of pictures like this:

attachicon.gifstep11.jpg

Nothing like yours.

I am not complaining, just curious.

yeah, weird. I like the foam Stealth Bomber fly very much and have caught a lot of fish with them. The SBS is a nice fly, not taking anything away from that but it's a mod of a Stimulator.

Found a pic of the fly on the Sparse Grey Matter site; don't know if Mr. Chase came up with it before or after the foam one of the same name.

http://www.sparsegreymatter.com/viewtopic.php?t=6031

I like the foam Stealth Bomber fly very much and have caught a lot of fish with them. The SBS is a nice fly, not taking anything away from that but it's a mod of a Stimulator.

The foam one looks a lot like a modified Gurgler; I'm sure it's very effective. To me, the Chase fly looks more like a Trude variation than a Stimi

I am wondering where you got that twister from?

Mike,

I love those motorized dubbing brush makers and really appreciate some of the great effects that can be created with them.

Unfortunately, I rarely have a need for anything that substantial, meeting most of my requirements just using the split-thread method, letting the bobbin do double-duty as the dubbing twister. When I do need a full blown dubbing loop, I found a cool little gadget that, with a few small modifications, does a great job - a battery powered baby formula mixer.

IMG_6178_zpscf5e71e8.jpg

I cut off the end of the plastic wand and inserted a de-barbed, dulled-down Tiemco 200 hook (broke the eye off) into a pre-drilled hole with a little epoxy

IMG_6179_zps9bd2c6a3.jpg

quick demo (just used some rabbit dubbing here; you can use other materials to make some interesting effects)

create loop and insert dubbing

IMG_6172_zpsd84d770b.jpg

insert hook in the end of the loop

IMG_6173_zpsc33493b4.jpg

a couple quick blips (not sure of the rpms but it spins pretty quickly) and it's tight

IMG_6174_zps9e95bb89.jpg

take your favorite dubbing teaser (a velcro'd popsicle stick works great) and rough it up a bit

IMG_6175_zpsf641f912.jpg

IMG_6180_zps182aa102.jpg

wrap the body, tie off and rough it up a little more as needed

IMG_6177_zps0c9bbb6a.jpg

The mixer set me back about $6 and 15 minutes to put it together; you can find them at any of those baby superstores.

Regards,

Scott

Thanks Scott. I thought that is what is was after some searching. Just have not found one yet. I guess I will have to go check the local baby superstore.