Fly Tying
NohackleHS

Effects of fire on a stream

Right. But ash would only be in the original runoff. At some point the soil itself will begin eroding. I was under the impression that very organically rich humus would tend to lower pH. Remember that in a stream, the water doesn't hang around, but continues being replace by water from upstream or tribs. I suspect that ash would be relatively easy to remain in suspension and float on downstream, whereas soil is denser and would be what settles out in the stream bed.

You are correct it will wash down stream, I don't know about faster than soil though and humus does lower pH but (bear in mind this is purely theoretical thinking) when I have wet ash in a fire pit or seen wood stove ash piles get wet I have found that it makes a dense sticky paste and I think it would be more persistent than soil and would fill nooks and crannies in the stream bottom and effect pH for at least a little while. I am thinking of worst case scenario here, like a total burn right down to the roots over a large area in a head water mountain stream not a higher order river. In addition to the pH effecting osmoregulation and oxygen/carbon exchange in the fishes gills ash clogs up the gills and chokes them out I would think that this would happen very quickly. Also a very high pH like +11-12 I think will kill fish very very quickly.

I don't know though I'm just spit balling here, I would think you would be the expert, I only have taken a a couple semesters worth of classes towards my environmental science degree, you spent 3 decades as an environmental scientist.

Schmitty... your guesses are as good as mine. Definitely think the initial runoff of ash would physically kill fish. I have trouble believing pH would get as high as 11 or 12, but I would expect very low DO and that would kill fish and invertebrates alike.

That's a good point. I didn't think about the DO, there is so many things that can kill fish, it is amazing to me some times that there are any for us to catch.

Too true! in less than 50 years, most of our streams will be under the ocean.

Not volcanic ash silver, from forest fires, I believe that wood ash will make the water alkaline.

I get it now. Yes, my grandmother used to make soap from grease and wood ash. So that would raise pH.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/homesteading-and-livestock/how-to-make-soap-from-ashes-zmaz72jfzfre.aspx