Fly Tying
Graham

Graham's Emerging Dragon

Thank you Guys, your kind comments keep pushing me to do better. I've just about finished another emerging dragon and posting a couple pics below. I managed to keep the thorax a bit shorter on this one, still a few things I would do differently on my third try, if that day ever comes. Tomorrow evening I'll finish it then work on the FTF Challenge #2.

Graham

user posted image

user posted image

When it's done and pics are taken in daylight it will look better, I just had to show it off now.

Now the sun is out I took a brighter picture but I still need to buy a tripod because I took several pics and this is the clearest one. Last night I found a cool dragon fly society web site and I realised the adult part of my fly is all wrong when compared to pic's of the real thing. The eyes are too far apart, the wings need to attach on top of the thorax not the sides, etc. But I still like my bug.

Graham

user posted image

Last night I found a cool dragon fly society web site and I realised the adult part of my fly is all wrong when compared to pic's of the real thing. The eyes are too far apart, the wings need to attach on top of the thorax not the sides, etc. But I still like my bug.

The quest for perfection is what makes you such a great tyer thumbup.gif

Thanks Guy's, I needed that. Today I forwarded the link to these pic's to a couple old fishing buddies, the response was basically, Dude what’s up, those aren’t flies, that art.

Both of the emerging dragons took about 8 hours, to tye each one. I’m pleased I did it, taught me a bit of tying patience, it was good to practice new techniques and they look so cool on my desk. While in the Columbia Gorge last week my wife bought me a really nice wooden box with a cool ceramic dragonfly tile on top. I put a piece of fly box foam in it and that’s where I keep all 4 dragons. I remember the response I used to get with my old boxes on display when I tyed at shows, this box would be a hit. Tonight I’m going to work on the Stonefly Challenge, back to tying fishing fly’s.

Graham

Great posts man ...

I was hoping that I will learn a lot on this forum, but now I am sure smile.gif

This thread is one of a kind tutorial. Thank you for shearing such a great ideas of yours with us.

Cheers mate!