Fly Tying

I was woundering if anyone has used Veniard Dyes for their Deer Hair.

I see that Kaufmanns offer it in his catalog but does it work well? I've tanned two deer hides last fall and I need some olive deer hair for the Bombers and Green Machines that people are asking from me. Can anybody vouch for this product? help.gif

P.S Please don't talk about Kool Aid? dry.gif

I have talked to some people who has used it in the past and said it does a really nice job. I have had spurts where I have really gotten into dyeing my own stuff. What I did to get a nice olive color was mixed Kelly Green and Brown Rit Dye and it came out really nice.

Kool Aid doesn't work well on deer hides but it does well with tails.

I,ve used Veniard dyes extensively- on skins deer hair and otherwise- the skin absorbes a lot of dye but does work well. Just have to make sure the material is properly treated with de-greasing solution and they will take the dye well. The post dye bath washing time is prolonged to clear the dye from the skin . With lighter materials its often usefull to dye to a darker base colour and re-dye to the final colour to get a strong and deep colour finally.

hope that helps

Will

QUOTE (SmallieHunter @ Feb 13 2005, 06:22 PM)
I have talked to some people who has used it in the past and said it does a really nice job. I have had spurts where I have really gotten into dyeing my own stuff. What I did to get a nice olive color was mixed Kelly Green and Brown Rit Dye and it came out really nice.

Kool Aid doesn't work well on deer hides but it does well with tails.

o nvm i saw his PS

Dyeing with Kool Aid is cheap and easy. Just take a pack of non sweetened Kool Aid put it in a pot of water and add a cap full of vinegar. Put it on the stove a let it simmer. The amount of kool aid and the amount of time spent in the bath determines how deep the color will be.

Here is a color chart of how the colors might look http://www.thepiper.com/fiberart/koolaid/i...hart-medium.jpg

You can mix colors to achive an unlimited amount of differnet colors wink.gif

Veniards has worked real well fro me. Use the amount specified. Don't try to make a stronger solution then reccomended. Different colors from the spectrum set at different rates. It may take some time to get the actual color you want. I always use only tanned deer hides so I don't have to worry too much about cleaning and preparring the material for dyding. Simmer the material only, no boiling.

The first time I tried to dye some saddle hackle Iron Blue Dun I kept getting a mahogony brown. It was beautiful but brown. After four attempts I found I was using too much dye in my bath. I just kind of eye balled it and ever next time added more to try to get the blue to come out. I finally read A K Bests book on dying and found out about the different dying rates of the different colors that make up the final color you are trying to achieve. I measured the water and the dye the next time and it came out great. Have fun.

PS: Take out eye contacts if you wear them too.