Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Dave G.

I'm slowly learning to tie left handed

Hmmm. Me, I'm left handed but learned to do a quite a few things right handed over the years. However I never thought about right or left handed fly tying. I just like to hold my materials with my left and wrap the thread with my right. Looking at all the photos of flies taken in the vise by others told me I was a right handed tier I guess. What ever works.

I am similar kinda ambidextrous kind of not. I throw right handed and write left handed for whatever reason, somethings I just end up doing more naturally with one hand vs the other.

Piano has been an aid towards my left side use, not to mention being a mechanic for 46 years. I have not tried off side casting though, that might be a bit of a challenge too.

I'm still not getting a left handed hand whip right. Something is flammed up there but I'm not too worried about it at this point. Can do it with the tool fine though. And a half hitch by hand with no tool aiding me is fine.

I was thinking about your trying to tie left handed and wonder if you might have already thoguht of the following:

... if you have two vices... could have your usual orientation set up - and then set up the left handed one. Tie a certain process on the 'usual' one and try to break down the process into very small steps - take that small step to the left handed vice setup and try to repeat the process left handed,.

I just thought the 2 vices setup might assist you.

BCT

I was thinking about your trying to tie left handed and wonder if you might have already thoguht of the following:

... if you have two vices... could have your usual orientation set up - and then set up the left handed one. Tie a certain process on the 'usual' one and try to break down the process into very small steps - take that small step to the left handed vice setup and try to repeat the process left handed,.

I just thought the 2 vices setup might assist you.

BCT

I have 1 vise set up on a small round table. And two chairs apposing one another. When Andrew is here we sit opposite one another. When he is not here I keep switching sides. I take a step in my traditional right handed mode and put in a half hitch, then move to the other side and take the same step with my left hand. The half hitch anchors the thread so I could spin it in either direction from there and not unwind it..

I had a second vise but gave it away. One thing that keeps getting swiveled about is my magnifier. But I have a pair of 2.50 reading glasses in my case that I think I will drag out and see if I can use those on one side or the other and leave the magnifier in one location. I generally tie with 1.25 or 1.50 and the magnifier together LOL !

Did the left handed hand whip today. 3 out of 4 were correct and surprisingly, it was the second one that went wrong. I see what was going on yesterday now, I was making a complete spiral in my fingers before applying thread to the hook shank. I found it out by observing the Matarelli in action and then mimicking it . Hah, it doesn't spiral/twist thread around before applying it to the hook shank. Dah !

Being a southpaw I commend you on your efforts. Years ago they always tried to change my left hand use to correct me and learn to do thing the right way. It was also my grandfather that took the time to work with me he was right handed and we learned to do things together, best memories of my life. The only thing is scissors,- left hand use kills right hand scissors as the hand forces the cutting edge open. Anvil used to make left hand scissors but they no longer are available. I ordered a pair from England but they are out of stock. he may have to learn to cut right handed this does slow me down a little I have found the adjustable tension scissors acceptable for left hand use, hope they last longer than all the right hand tools you guys take for granted (pruning shears, slip joint pliers, snips etc.) Your a good man I can cast, shoot, and do many things with both hands thanks to my Grandfather.

Thanks, and yes scissors have been an issue. I'm thinking razor blade, that's how I learned to tie, with using a single edged razor blade on my first flies to cut things away. Still use one now and then.

KIMO uses a cuticle cutter - similar to a nail cutter and this works good for cutting off thread I know (found at a beauty supply store). As far as other materials... the single edged razor blade might be the way... or some other ingenious way you come up with (or a left handed pair of scissors).

BCT

(edit corrected typo)

KIMO uses a cuticle cutter - similar to a nail cutter and this works good for cutting off thread I know (found as a beauty supply store). As far as other materials... the single edged razor blade might be the way... or some other ingenious way you come up with (or a left handed pair of scissors).

BCT

I like it, good idea ! There must be a pair around here someplace.

I'm a lefty and definitely give you credit for learning to tie opposite hand to help your grandson. When I first started, I was doing a great deal of YouTube learning. Trying to figure out how to whip finish left-handed while watching right-handed videos was a struggle for a while but I figured it out. After having to teach a couple classes, I had to figure it out right-handed so I could help people while I was teaching.