Fly Tying
caloosa bug

(No fly zone) Non fly caught fish pictures

Big specks, (crappie) are still biting all over Lake Okeechobee. I've been busy the last few weekends and only had time for a couple short trips. Last weekend I spent an afternoon exploring bass locations in preparation for a small local tournament coming at the end of this month. Found some beautiful water but the bass weren't back there yet. Then jigged up a few slabs before the sun disappeared.

This weekend, my only chance to get out was for a few hours this afternoon doing some bank fishing. Even went in my Sunday lounge shorts. 😊Down the street from the house is the Caloosahatchee and I got a nice one on a rubber worm after there was no takers on fly. 

IMG_2821.jpeg

IMG_2824.jpeg

IMG_2730.jpeg

IMG_2850.jpeg

This one was waving a reed with a flag on that said 👋 You hoo, I'm over here!" 

IMG_2948.jpeg

A couple weeks ago me and dad spent 5 days out of an 8 day stretch on Lake O. We had an absolute blast. Explored many areas and patterns to try to win a little money in our annual one fish, big bass tournament during our county fair. We caught a lot of nice bass and had a lot of fun. I caught some big ones the first couple days, then a mid week front came through. I guess I forgot how to fish after that, probably because I was over confident in my pattern of a senko and weightless trick worm. Dad proceeded to kick my but the rest of the week on into tournament day on a tiny shallow crank bait. I didn't weigh in squat, and dad finished in 9th out of over 70 participants.  It was a week to remember and I'm glad I shared it with dad. 

IMG_2994.jpeg

IMG_2989.jpeg

IMG_3015.jpeg

IMG_3020.jpeg

IMG_3014.png

IMG_3008.jpeg

IMG_3006.jpeg

imagejpeg_0.jpeg

This time of year we're going day after day (nice to have anglers... but be careful what you wish for...) - freshwater, saltwater, day trips, night trips.... when that great flood of visitors heads our way..   By May things begin to slow down (as customers begin to dwindle - the fishing, though, gets better and better...) and in summer - not many want to fish in the jungle with me... In the meantime I come up for air a day here or there... with lots to do - then it's back on the water... 

Here's a pic from last week of a nice redfish out of Flamingo in Whitewater Bay where the reds have that great mahogany red/brown copper color... carefully released after  an encounter with a small leadhead on light spinning gear... 

VUon0oS.jpg

Today I'll be sourcing a new stern light for my skiff... Trying to stuff a seven foot wide skiff up  a six foot wide creek - has consequences...