Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
eastern fly

Pittsburgh area fisherman

I've never caught one on a fly, but have caught 3 on creek chubs walleye fishing and 1 on a white belly, silver backed crank bait(also not targeting them). Allegheny river, and below a dam on a trib to it. That's all I got.

Kevin,

I talked to someone from the Three Rivers Muskies Inc Chapter. He said that he thought the Allegheny would be your best bet and wanted me to remind you that the visibility is about two feet. He said that even though some people fish with and catch fish on natural colors, he finds that he does better with bright, contrasting colors. He suggested white, chartreuse, fire tiger, and orange/black.

Tom

Kevin,

I talked to someone from the Three Rivers Muskies Inc Chapter. He said that he thought the Allegheny would be your best bet and wanted me to remind you that the visibility is about two feet. He said that even though some people fish with and catch fish on natural colors, he finds that he does better with bright, contrasting colors. He suggested white, chartreuse, fire tiger, and orange/black.

Tom

Thanks for that. It will give me another place to start. I have also been told there are hybrid strip bass there also.

Kevin

Thanks for that. It will give me another place to start. I have also been told there are hybrid strip bass there also.

Kevin

Wipers are only going to be found within 2 locks upstream of the city, if I'm not mistaken. And I also remember hearing they may have ended the stocking program for them. Not sure how recently, though.

Kevin

Wipers are only going to be found within 2 locks upstream of the city, if I'm not mistaken. And I also remember hearing they may have ended the stocking program for them. Not sure how recently, though.

The info I got came from a guy with a fish in hand. I will find out.

Kevin

Muskies Inc has started a fly fishing category to go along with a number of other categories. In the May/June issue there is also an article about a guy near Pittsburgh, who currently has registered 9 of the 10 largest muskies caught this year on a fly. It says he catches them on white and yellow T Bones.

Let us know how things turn out.