Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
ejcrist

Danville Spider Web and Uni Trico

Copy that - thanks for the info. I plan to use whatever looks like it'll do the trick at the time. I want to try some of these small midges to see how they do up there. Up to this point everything I've caught at Lee's Ferry has been on 16-18. Lee's Ferry is a totally different environment of course but I'm guessing there's plenty of small midges up in Yellowstone too.

Have you fished the Lamar, Soda Butte, and the Yellowstone Rivers? That's where we're planning to go. I haven't narrowed down the exact spots yet.

The Lamar valley is my favorite place in the park. If you're lucky you can catch a pmd or the green drake hatch. I usually fish terrestrials, ants and beetles size 12-16.

I just fished the upper Yellowstone last week. Here is how I did. Size 10 green drake spinner.

post-14917-0-14528000-1501102623_thumb.jpg

The Lamar valley is my favorite place in the park. If you're lucky you can catch a pmd or the green drake hatch. I usually fish terrestrials, ants and beetles size 12-16.

I just fished the upper Yellowstone last week. Here is how I did. Size 10 green drake spinner.

Wow - that's a beautiful Cutthroat! I've never been fortunate enough to fish anywhere that has them. Yeah I read to tie a lot of terrestrials too so I'm glad to hear that first-hand from someone that fishes there - thanks for the tip. I've been tying what you said you use (ants and beetles) in 14 and 16. I'll tie a couple of 12's now too.

It was a nice fish, just under 25". General attractor patterns work too, parachute Adams in a 14 is a good searching fly. My daughter took her first cutt on one in Soda Butte creek when she was 12.