Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Exotics....

Interesting you mention dat vicente...ever caught an eel or a cutlass fish in the salt. At first a jolt then they seem to "back up" if you will then make short runs/head shakes and the fight came to the surface more with jumps. The peacocks will fool you. They hit hard and head shake, couple jumped; but seems when they see the boat heavier lunges....You could lip the peacocks but the knives had some teeth so netted and held by the gills. Teeth weren't too bad no special leader needed.

This is for what it's worth we only caught three knives. Shoulda caught lots more. Lotta stuff would rush with a big v to the streamers and fail to finish. Puzzling cuz some would hit violently most rush and inhale or refuse...I had to forego the poppers only caught bigmouths and bream on them. The peacocks would rush up and not take. Used a shad type fiber streamer that worked best. Just knew my foam frogs would work, negative. One day trip and the guide was a bait guy so no help. Would love to work on em for a few days but one shot deal.

I won't be lacking on jumbo streamers next time. Got lil blue water fever! Looked in my wallet....Oops! can't afford dat stuff ..... oh well...

IMG_1630.jpg

IMG_1631.jpg

Interesting you mention dat vicente...ever caught an eel or a cutlass fish in the salt. At first a jolt then they seem to "back up" .

caught many Atlantic Cutlass Fish ( Trichiurus lepturus ) in the mooring basin of Mayport Navy Base in Jacksonville... We'd catch them at night while tied up there, those things would hit the silver swivel at the top of a steel leader when another one was hooked... also many times when I had one hooked several others would attack the one on the line- could see them chomping on their brother or sister, evil fish with wicked teeth, some of them up to about 4 feet long or even longer.

It wasn't until my last time there that we learned that the local tackle shops would pay decent money for dead/frozen cutlass fish in good condition, apparently they sold them to charter boats for trolling bait offshore, for billfish.

Our ship's cook was the one who found out about it, and used to bring up a big roll of plastic wrap from the galley to the fantail where a few of us used to stay up and fish on liberty instead of go out drinking. It was important to not let them get scarred-up on the nonskid deck before he could get them wrapped up in plastic and then put in the freezer.

When a teenager worked at KozyKitten cat food canary in Biloxi. Ms summertime. They had steel hull boats with refrig. by then. We vacumed the fish out of the hold into a weigh hopper(500#) then dump in grinder mixed half with soybean meal cooked and 15 oz cans cooked in retorts. Point is sometimes the boats would be solid cutlass fish like 50 tons!!!! Most times croaker, white trout etc. We worked shrimp on the other side and back then they canned oyster stew in winter....minimum wage $1.25/hr

https://www.texassaltwaterfishingmagazine.com/fishing/cutlassfish