Fly Tying
SpokaneDude

Need help blending yellow and rust Antron to be rusty yellow

Here is how all of these were created:

aj5gKFq.jpg

https://planettrout.wordpress.com/2014/04/12/the-sparkle-pupa-a-contemporary-revision-completed/

If one wishes, the Bookmailer Antron from Al & Gretchen may be used. Subtitute clear for white in the blending process...I. along with my kids, have taken a bunch of Trout on these guys...

PT/TB

I've been tying Lafountaine DSPs and ESPs since the book came out in the 80's. They are great caddis patterns, sometimes the only thing that works with any consistency during a caddis emergence. One of the most important things about the pattern, even more so than matching the exact color, is actually using antron sparkle yarn for the sheath as well as the dubbed body; it's not that easy to find. Also, I wouldn't sweat the color so much since colors vary with insects. One should try to match the color to the actual insect you are trying to imitate. How many of us observe that insects vary in color from one insect to another, as well often a hatch in one stream will have insects of varying shades of insects from another stream.

Also, I checked out the video of Matt Grobert tying the ESP. The one thing I noticed, he did not use the "touch" dubbing method that Gary talked about all the time. I think that's rather important, go back and reread the book. For dubbing the body Gary usually combed out strands of sparkle yarn and chopped into 1/4" pieces. He used sticky wax and "touched" the short fibers onto the thread and loosely dubbed the hook shank. The result was spiky short fibers of antron mix for the body, which Gary claimed created bubbles held along the body and trapped by the sheath, like the gas bubbles created by emerging caddis pupa.

Anyway, the patterns have been my go-to patterns since the 80's...lol. But, many flyfishers do not have as much success as I do. I believe it is because the flies most anglers tie do not use the correct material (actual antron yarn, which is a mix of antron) as well as the correct dubbing method (touch dubbing). Good luck tying.

afishinado: I agree with you 100%... I just got his Caddisflies book about 2 months ago; since then, I have been trying (with success) to find out all I could about his methods for fishing and tying... I didn't know about touch dubbing, and now, in my opinion it is the ONLY way to dub (for his patterns, anyway)... I have multiple colors of Antron sparkle yarn and have successfully tied the diving caddis... going to move on to the Deep Sparkle Pupa starting today.

Thank you for your comments; glad to know I'm on the right track.

SD

I've been tying Lafountaine DSPs and ESPs since the book came out in the 80's. They are great caddis patterns, sometimes the only thing that works with any consistency during a caddis emergence. One of the most important things about the pattern, even more so than matching the exact color, is actually using antron sparkle yarn for the sheath as well as the dubbed body; it's not that easy to find. Also, I wouldn't sweat the color so much since colors vary with insects. One should try to match the color to the actual insect you are trying to imitate. How many of us observe that insects vary in color from one insect to another, as well often a hatch in one stream will have insects of varying shades of insects from another stream.

Great point about the color of identical hatches varying between locations. The pale morning dun is probably the best example of size and color variation within a species. Also as the season progresses, the size of insects can get smaller. So as I stated earlier, when you are on new waters, seine and capture a sample for size and color. The alternative is to visit a fly shop that has the latest reliable information on the hatches.

http://www.troutnut.com/hatch/459/Mayfly-Ephemerella-excrucians-Pale-Morning-Dun

"Ephemerella excrucians variability in appearance, habitat preferences, and wide geographical distribution are cause for angler confusion with the changes in classification. They can be pale yellow 18's on a large Oregon river, creamy orange 14's on western lakes and feeder streams, large olive green on CA spring creeks as well as tiny sulfur ones in many Western watersheds. Then there's the little Red Quill on small streams in Wisconsin. Yet, all are the same species."