Fly Tying

Spinning Dear Hair

Well here is my first attempt at spinning dear hair. I am looking for a razor blade so I can make it a little bit smoother. I don't know what it is supposed to be, maybe a mouse or something. I just made it up as I went along.

user posted image

And I just noticed from the picture that yes the hook shank broke for some reason. I will try it again tonight.

Thanks

Jim

Hey Jim!

Not bad for a first try!

Double edge razor blades are good for trimming. Flexible for contour trimming and very sharp. I found a curved blade pair help me cutting round shapes.

I have to up date this pic from one of my old posts, with the finished fly!

post-2-1110382452.jpg

Hi Jim,

For a first try your fly looks very good. Keep practicing, you're on the right track! Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com

Great Job Jim. I know what it is like to do some practice with deerhair. I have been practicing for about a year now and at times find it challenging but it would be my inexperience to selecting quality deerhair to spin with, you will get it.

Heres an image of what I have been working on user posted image

I just tied my first last night. I didn't realize that they were that messy bugeyes.gif

It really tured out nice though. i tied a frog pattern. natural, olive, and black. I can't wait to throw it this weekend. What do you use for waterproofing hair bugs?

-Willis

Hi everyone. I am planning on tying another one tonight. I did find the razor blades at Walgreens for like $4.00 for 10 blades I think it was.

I'm not sure what you would use to waterproof them. I thought the deer hair would be waterproof enough. I'm sure someone here will know what to do.

You sure don't want to work on one of the bugs on a shagged carpet thats for sure. laugh.gif Luckily I am working on a hardwood floor so cleanup up is pretty easy for me.

Jim

To waterproof my flies I spray with a can of Camp Dry, or Scotch guard works good too. It is really cheap way to have around and to use on flies. One tool that I use for trimming is a cordless beard/mustache/nose hair trimmer. I think I paid about $10.00 and it really makes roughing out a fly a simple process. I use the double edge razors to really final trim my shapes. Has anyone found an easy way to place eyes on their flies?

Nicholas

Hi Nicholas, I was watching Chris Helms video (spinning and stacking dear hair) and he burned an indention into the trimmed hair for the eyes. Then applied some glue into the indention and then sat the eye in it. It looked pretty easy from what I saw.

Hope this helps

Jim

Thank you for the info. It will be of great help. I am goind to the Fly Fishing Expo this weekend in Warren. Hopefully I will pick up on sum new tips and tricks that I would be able to share. Specially in deerhair tying, this is my most favorite because of the different colors and shapes you can come up with at the end fly result.

Keep tying strong

Nicholas

I wouldn't quit. it's easier than it seems at first.

the key is PRACTICE.

and don't try so hard.

use less hair at a time as you spin it.

take your time.

and above all else...stick with it and practice.

you can always cut/burn off your mess-ups.

mgj

Edited by Pujic