Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
BillF

Fly storage other than fly boxes

I store bulk flies in compartments and my bigger bass bugs in compartments that have just long rows,I put a couple of each pattern that i plan on using that day in a fly box.I love fly boxes and the ones i want are handy and the ones that i cut off to try something else go into a different fly box to dry and be sorted later.I keep like flies in small compartment boxes in my bag.I use a tackle bag with zippered compartments.i try to be ready for anything i encounter,Several species in any given lake pond or creek.I always carry 2 fly rods.

A glass or two of wine every evening, a dozen flies tied almost every morning. Traditional fly boxes just don’t cut it for fly storage. I tend to give away a lot of flies on the river when I meet anglers struggling. Mostly in Yellowstone, but at a lot of Montana access points as well. As such, I tend to carry a large backup of flies in the truck all summer. Using larger compartmented craft boxes (Michaels) and smaller empty hook boxes, I can stash hundreds of flies conveniently accessible if needed. If I need to replenish a small fly box, the extra flies are available. Back at the tying bench, the boxes provide an immediate place to store new flies.

Another trick I learned from a crusty old Florida saltwater angler, is the use of small zip lock bags instead of fly boxes for larger saltwater flies. Tie up some new deceivers and two or three go into a 4” x 5” zip lock bag (Michaels cheap by the 100s). Dozens of these bags can go into a simple plastic container, again easily stored in the truck during saltwater beach and flats wading trips. When walking a beach or wading a flat, carrying traditional fly boxes with large saltwater flies is burdensome. Instead, put 3-4 zip locks in your shirt pocket with a dozen flies and you are set. Comfort while fishing, convenient storage when not.

Great advice makes sense!