Fly Tying
The Mad Duck

The Best $40.00 I Ever Spent

So, A couple of weeks ago, I went to pull out my little tiller out so I could get started on my garden,only to find it inoperable. I took it to the small engine repair guy and he said it would be over a month before he could get it back to me. I called the guys that occasionally come and do odd landscape jobs for me when needed to till up my garden area because I'm ready to get all my plants in the ground. I showed him where I wanted it and how large I wanted it. He quoted me $40.00.

While he was tilling, I was puttering around in the garage and saw a case for an old spotting scope I used to have and thought to myself that I would make a good case for some camera accessories when I travel. I went over and grabbed the case, thinking it was kind of heavy to be empty.

I opened the case and what did I find???? An old Fin-Nor #2 A/R reel, An old Fin-Nor #4 Direct Drive Fly Reel, an old Redington 5wt and a non-descript Cabelas 8 Wt. Many of you remember about 6 months ago I was looking for info about some Fin Nor spools that I had found and didnt have reels for. Well, Now I have the reels as well as the spools!!! I moved over 3 years ago and have been looking for the 2 Fin Nor reels ever since. I know I didnt pack them up in that box, so one of the buddies that helped me move must have figured that was a good place to store them.

Had the landscape guy not come to till my garden,I wouldn't have been puttering around in the garage,and opened the spotting scope case to find my lost treasure. That's about $750 to $800 worth of reels. The $40 for the tilling was the best $40, I EVER spent!!!

58 minutes ago, The Mad Duck said:

So, A couple of weeks ago, I went to pull out my little tiller out so I could get started on my garden,only to find it inoperable. I took it to the small engine repair guy and he said it would be over a month before he could get it back to me. I called the guys that occasionally come and do odd landscape jobs for me when needed to till up my garden area because I'm ready to get all my plants in the ground. I showed him where I wanted it and how large I wanted it. He quoted me $40.00.

While he was tilling, I was puttering around in the garage and saw a case for an old spotting scope I used to have and thought to myself that I would make a good case for some camera accessories when I travel. I went over and grabbed the case, thinking it was kind of heavy to be empty.

I opened the case and what did I find???? An old Fin-Nor #2 A/R reel, An old Fin-Nor #4 Direct Drive Fly Reel, an old Redington 5wt and a non-descript Cabelas 8 Wt. Many of you remember about 6 months ago I was looking for info about some Fin Nor spools that I had found and didnt have reels for. Well, Now I have the reels as well as the spools!!! I moved over 3 years ago and have been looking for the 2 Fin Nor reels ever since. I know I didnt pack them up in that box, so one of the buddies that helped me move must have figured that was a good place to store them.

Had the landscape guy not come to till my garden,I wouldn't have been puttering around in the garage,and opened the spotting scope case to find my lost treasure. That's about $750 to $800 worth of reels. The $40 for the tilling was the best $40, I EVER spent!!!

Sounds like win-win-win.

But you have buds who help you move?  😉

8 minutes ago, Flat Rock native said:

Sounds like win-win-win.

But you have buds who help you move?  😉

You would be surprised how much work can get done with a case of beer and a couple of large supreme pizzas. :D