Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Mark Gustavson

Comparadun

Any tips on handling deer hair to make consistently good comparaduns on #18's and smaller? I would like to be able to make 10 out of 10 good looking flies. The problem basically is tying in the clump and keeping it from rolling around the hook. Thanks.

I can't imagine tying comparaduns with on anything smaller than 18! ohmy.gif Use the finest deer hair you can get and try using 8/0 or 10/0 or even 14/0 thread. Use a winging loop when you tye in the clump with thread pressure applied by pulling straight down with your bobbin. You might even try using CDC tied and flared in the comparadun style as a substitute for deer hair. I have seen some beautiful sulphur comparaduns tied with a quill body cdc wing/hackle and a tightly dubbed thorax in sz. 18 at my local flyshop. I have not attempted them myself though. For tailwater small mayflies such as sulphurs i usually tye parachute style dries.

Good Luck,

A.A.

Basically, you lay down a thread base, then grasp the hair bundle above the hook shank. Take the first and possibly the second wrap with the bobin around the hair bundle only, not the hook shank. Only after putting one or two wraps around the hair bundle do you continue to wrap around the hook shank. This should keep your bundle in place on top of the hook shank.

Calvin

Another option for the little flies is tying comparaduns with hi-vis or straight Zelon. I've seen and tied trico's with this down to 24's and it works well. smile.gif

After you have the hair tied in and up right grasp the rear third of the hair and make two tight wraps in front of it. Then grab the middle of your clump and make two tight wraps in front of that. Finnally build a wall using thread build up in front of the hair. That should hold it. Good luck

You should use the skin of a deer killed in the summer. The hairs, especially on the belly are mucg finer and this will enable yoy to ty small flies. I don't build up in front of the wing with thread only. I make a buildup of dubbing.

Sjo