Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

mending question

ralf, i was fishing the spot we went to this past spring after the opener with you dad. wading about the same distance out, so the casts werent that far. i just realized i was mending alot, i never noticed it so much this spring. probably should have added some extra length to the leader to help combat the overmending, but it was cold and i didnt want to take the extra time away from fishing only being able to be there for a few hours before heading home.

do you think a 10fter would be to much for the small rivers like the pm or lil man?? of course i guess it wouldnt matter much since if i got one i would still have the shorter rod to use in cases like that.

I think you're reading too much into it. Sure a longer rod would help. As a matter of fact even my 5wt. is 9 1/2'. It helps us "vertical challenged" ones.. baby.gif

Seeing you were fishing quite small water and that spot has the slow water on the rod side, you may have been over-compensating. We'll work on this next time out. wink.gif

Been out lately, besides the trip to the Mo?

QUOTE (flyfishenvy @ Dec 3 2003, 03:16 PM)

do you think a 10fter would be to much for the small rivers like the pm or lil man??  of course i guess it wouldnt matter much since if i got one i would still have the shorter rod to use in cases like that.

flyfishenvy i use my 10'er on the flywater of the PM and it is not to long remeber your only talking about a foot or so here so its not really a huge difference. It even comes in handy in certian situations for me on the PM that helps me to get a drift i couldnt get to with the 8'6"-9' rod,theres one hole that i fish ALOT and it has a log sticking up near the far bank that always has salmon stacked up behind it. With my hieght and the 10'er i can wade out and extend my arm and just bearly get a drift behind that log....somthing that i cant do with the 9'er. Besides that its not a big difference.

If you are interested in it (i think you live here in MI?) you are welcome to borrow my 10'scott sas next time you go on a trip and give it a try if you would like,then you will know if you like the 10'ers enough to go out and buy one.

If you do then just shoot me a pm

SD

Steve,

I wouldn't do that. You may not get it back. That 8.5 he's talking about is actually mine. He "tried it" back in 2000 and I haven't seen it since. Now he's bitching about the length. Well Hell, give it back... bs.gif dunno.gif

come on now shoe, i never borrowed one of your rods wink.gif , at least not that you didnt get back right away. yours cost to much money for me to put insurance on with my record of clumsiness (read never get out of boat unless your getting out on the bankside). ray left his rod in my truck, and we just never got together till the trip on your boat in the big water to return it a few months later.

as far as fishing goes, no turkey break was the only time since end of sept. that i have been out. been chasing deer, or working my butt off. but the time is starting to come and i feel another "extreme" trip coming my way. this time no dropped rods or reels in the water in subzero temps mad.gif for me.