Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Carp fishing

Hey guys, i've been away from the board for a while.

I fish for carp a lot here. We have several duckponds around that people feed teh ducks and have big carp in them. I guess teh carp get used to eating bread.

My #1 carp fly is just a size 10 nymph hook, white thread, and white rabbit fur tied in a big spinning loop, spun, and wrapped along the shank. Slightly wet it so it sits just in the film or slowly sinks. If the fish are cruising, cast it right in front of them. This is the only fly that i have caught cruising fish on. It also works in the shallows when they are mudding. get it a little more soaked and let it sink right in fron of them, theyll gobble it up.

for sussurface flies, i use a lot of bonefish type pattens, basically lead or bead eyes with a wing of some hair. They look like little crayfish, which carp love. I also use some wooly buggers, both normal with maribou tails, and some with a tal fo rubber hackle, about 8-10 pieces. most have lead or bead chain eyes to get them down and made a "puff" when i strip them to look like a craw. I mostly sight fish for feeding carp in shallow flats. Its a real rush.

I caught one on teh 2 wt, it didn't even know it was fighting, i couldnt put much pressure on it. My main rod is the 4 wt when there are no snags. On little creeks or ponds with lots of cover, i go with the 8 wt.

tight lines

Dan

great links, fellas!!! I hope we can generate a lot on interest for the ole roughfish....may open a whole world of fishing oppurtunities for some fellas!! Keep up the great work fellas!!!

This Brute was my first Carp on fly (Howser clouser). The rod used was my first hand made. 8.5 ft graphite Hook and Hackle 5 wgt beginner kit, Okuma reel loaded with 333 floating. Guessing it was at least a 15 minute battle with the brute taking me into my backing twice.

Guess I'll have to work on attaching pictures to a post. BUT go to the photo gallery. Posting there was a breeze.

The carp was from 2002 but the others were from 2003. Still no ice on the lake but 13 inches of snow fell last weekend. I guess CT is destined for snow cover until April again. Trying another test. Not a fish but it was handy....

I finally go tmy avatar up. I got her on a #12 scrappy nymph on a 7'6" 3 weight if the bowfin pic goes through she came on the same rod and a 1/0 tinsel sershen streamer.

Tight Lines,

HDS

post-23-1071356839.jpg

I finally go tmy avatar up. I got her on a #12 scrappy nymph on a 7'6" 3 weight if the bowfin pic goes through she came on the same rod and a 1/0 tinsel sershen streamer.

Tight Lines,

HDS

post-23-1071357116.jpg

i have always fished with light tackle. 4'6" ft - 5' ft UL with 6 lb test was a mainstay for 20 years, I fish it for everything, 20 lb northerns, 8 lb eyes, 35 lb carp, now light fly gear for tough fish.

HDS

Thats really something HDS how long did it take you to land them on that light rod?

i've only caught a few carp before (nothing over 3#) but i have got a decent number of bofin that were around the size of the one in your pic and i know i have fought them for a good 15mins or more on a 10'6" spinning rod with 6#.

SD