Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Iroc_Jeff

Bead Head San Juan Worm

Always had good luck with these for panfish and bass just stripping in and letting them fall. Durability was always the worst with them falling off the hook, both from fish and forceps. So, decided to make the ribbed-bead head version but wasn't happy with it. After a  bit of UV resin over the ribbing they turned pretty good.

Tied 10 of each of these and probably plan on a purple and some two-tones in the future since I bought 100 hooks..

20210102_220905.thumb.jpg.2aa909bb77e20112776aa180ab828e7b.jpg

I use lil glass beads for collars and tiny bit of CA glue.  Great idea the UV stuff on the chenille ones.  They more durable than the squrmmy stuff.  The stuff off the toys although too short (gotta do 2 pieces glued/tied together) lasts longer.   Thought  the squrmmies were better cuz more real but might need to rethink it.  Caught few grass carp on the green ones.  Take a threader or double piece ofmono to pull em thru the beads on the hook.

326E8CDA-D690-4466-B20B-E7E41BF12E1C.jpeg

CB4D87FB-D977-4F84-A995-BC85E9A6F5F8.jpeg

40 minutes ago, denduke said:

I use lil glass beads for collars and tiny bit of CA glue.  Great idea the UV stuff on the chenille ones.  They more durable than the squrmmy stuff.  The stuff off the toys although too short (gotta do 2 pieces glued/tied together) lasts longer.   Thought  the squrmmies were better cuz more real but might need to rethink it.  Caught few grass carp on the green ones.  Take a threader or double piece ofmono to pull em thru the beads on the hook.

The squirmy stuff is cool but its really not durable at all. Bought two-three packs last year and won't do it again. One broke in my hand tying it on. Was not happy. Even deteriorated in a sealed plastic bin in the packaging as I was going to make a few and tray again with them.