Fly Tying
Graham

Match the Hatch Challenge #4

Sweet looking Caddis B.C.

Hey duckydoty, For markers I like Pantone, they are waterproof and come in hundreds of different shades of colors. I recently picked up 8 more, all shades of brown.

For the Caddis antennae I have been using a new material that I really like very much. It's a quality paint brush I picked up at the local Ace Hardware. The fibers are perfect, slim, strong, fine tips, can be glued together by dipping in Softex, take markers well for coloring, sure wish I'd found this years ago. Oh, yes, they bend perfectly with a heated bodkin. On the Caddis, I tie on two, tips facing forward over the hook eye, color them black with a marker, heat a bodkin for about one second over a Bic lighter flame, place the bodkin over the hook eye, and pull the two fibers back, and they stay that way, really cool. Next I pull them out of the way and tie on the eyes. I know if I tie the eyes first I'll probably melt the antennae's in half trying to bend them.

user posted image

user posted image

Here's a fly I tied based upon Jason's picture. (Great photo, by the way!) It's not as realistic as those submitted by you guys, but I think it should fool a few trout.

user posted image

Hey Blackdog1101, Your fly looks super. A nice blend of realistic detail and fishability. I like the bead head very much and many of my favorite fishing flies have bead heads, including realistic stones with bead heads. I hope you tye a dozen of those and have some great days on the water.

Graham

Thanks Guy's. For the wing material I am using clear Swiss straw, paint it and color it with markers. I like this for wings because I can leave parts uncolored for a more transparent look.

I really like the abdomen on this one, used a product called Liquid Lace.

user posted image

user posted image

It's really fun seeing the imitations you guys come up with to match that picture. smile.gif

Here's the link to a few pictures of that specimen at different angles:

http://www.troutnut.com/naturals/caddisfli...addisflies_24_1

I'm unfortunately too busy with school to join in on the challenge right now, but here's a fly I tied at the time based on that picture, to imitate that hatch. The design proved itself very quickly with several nice browns:

user posted image

(Full-sized version here.)

In other news, I can't wait to get some caddis pupa pics with my new camera this summer! I almost cringe when I look at the current pics on my site after playing around with the new camera. My last final is a month away... and then I can finally go back to 24/7 troutnuttery!

Hi JasonN,

From looking at the underneath pic the caddis abdomen looks real furry, I'll have to try using something different than foam and plastic. Your fly looks real buggy and I bet the fish love it. Thanks again for letting us use your photo for this months challenge. Now I'll have to try tying a furry abdomen, maybe furry foam will work, I picked some up last weekend, haven't tyed with it, yet.

Graham