Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
CtKenC

What to Tie/Use on Monomoy in late June

Got invited to join some fellows for a few days of saltwater fly fishing (Stripers) at Monomoy on Cape Cod in late June.

Never done this before dunno.gif so don't know what patterns to tie (or buy).

What patterns, sizes, colors etc.

Any experienced suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ken

Flies that imitate sand eels, crabs, and shrimp all have their place on Monomoy.

I'd ask this same question in the saltwater section of the site here. John Morin fishes that area regularly and can give you some good advice.

You can also check out Ken Abrams website for questions on flys that are productive on the Cape..

Ken Abrams Striper Moon

Deep Clousers will also work. There have been some threads lately about a Tuesday night tying get together and some have pics.

Rick

I fish that area frequently.

Keep in mind that flats striper fishing and striper fishing in turbulent water are two totally different things - so when you are reading articles or checking web pages two totally contradictory opinions about stripers may be completely true in different environments.

Its hard to argue with Chart/White Clousers and a lot of guys like crease flies.

Polar Fibre minnows are productive and a snap to tie. Again Chart/White is a magic color

Personally I've caught more stripers on a simple white bunny bug than anything else.

Relax though if you're friends find fish (hardest part) and you have good casting skills (if you don't normally throw the heavy stuff find some pike or LMB and practice) the fish generally will cooperate.

Mark,

I don't see Saltwater section here ... can you please point me in that direction?

Thanks,

Ken

I'd ask this same question in the saltwater section of the site here. John Morin fishes that area regularly and can give you some good ad