Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Steelheadin' tips

JJ did your keyboard stick and you meant 10+fish in a hole..... wink.gif

100 fish in a HOLE bugeyes.gif bugeyes.gif man you guys are killin me,as if i wasnt geeked enough about this trip NOW i'm really gettin antzy Jumpy.gif

Geez with 100 fish in one hole that means there is a "slight" chance that even big daddy might foul ho...i mean....hook one tongue.gif

SD

Most of them will be spread out by the time we get there. As long as we have open water I'm am confident we will see and catch fish.

Whats amazing is when your on the creek and they start to run. Fish jumping and swimming in to you.

Here's picture of the shad

Notice the black spot behind the gill plate. These came from the Western Basin and may not represent the forage in other parts.

user posted image

This was an Alewive pattern I saw in a magazin a couple of years ago to use off the piers in the early season but have never used. I think you could limit the amount of blue flashbou and put some darker flashbou in there. Or some black and brown bucktail mixed in there.

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Here it is wet. It slims down when wet. This is actually the bottom fly (the bigger of the two in the first pic) after I wet it.

user posted image

Recipe is simple. A streamer hook, 3 peacock hearls, flashbou, white bucktail. Two wood duck feathers on the sides with some red hackle for gills. Then add the prismatic eyes.

I could see that one working, fished on a sinking line in short strips. Seeing the shad are basically suspended and not bottom dwellers, getting deep is not essential

Nice work, Pat wink.gif

great info fellas.....gonna have boxes full of flies...ain't leaving without a fish!!!! going prepared for anything!!

That's a Gizzard Shad in the picture above.The Lake Erie tribs. are full of them in the late fall,their population in the rivers dwindle when the water approaches freezing.

I use a Lite Brite Zonker or Hackleflash Minnow to imitate baitfish when fishing for Steelhead in the Ohio tribs.In January,unless we have a heat wave, you will have to think low and slow.These flies can be effective dead drifting like you would any other egg or nymph pattern, under an indicator or without, whatever your preference is.

Btw,Hackleflash is a material that makes a great looking fly,and easy to tie with.

Nice looking site. I will check back in when I have more time.

Regards,

Ed

what about this gummy minnow that everyone keeps talking about?? after seeing them first hand this past weekend at the expo, i bet you could pass that off as a shad. matter of fact that is the first thing that popped into my head when i saw the pic in the other post by shoe.

A report from the local fish commision.

Pray for about 1 inch of rain on December 31st.

Low and gin clear have been the words lately. The tribs are still holding good numbers of steelhead. The Manchester hole is "black" with fish and the Project Waters at Walnut have fish scattered through out. This past Sunday there was a noticeable lack of anglers although conditions were good in most areas. A good number of fish are still holding at the Elk Creek Access area especially along the rock wall by the boat launch. The upper hole at the Legion Park area had a good number of fish with only a few in the lower hole. Reports indicate that fishing has been good around Follys End and in the deeper pockets at the Struechan Flats area. Good clear water baits have been white sucker spawn patterns, singles eggs and maggots light line and size 18 to 22 hooks. A number of anglers did well over the weekend just east of the channel at Walnut along the lake shoreline. We have also had reports that anglers have been catching some steelhead in Presque Isle Bay near the Channel and in Misery Bay near the Perry Monument. Current Lake Erie temperature as of this writing is 43 degrees.