Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
azfly

Materials Help

20 minutes ago, azfly said:

Since a few asked for a pic when I was done. not very good but its my 1st fly. I really struggled with doing the hackle down the body so I just left it off. I suspect with practice I will get better. Now to figure out how to do the hackle. 

PXL_20210629_024905211.thumb.jpg.843bc94a97a8566e57e5ad291b2bd640.jpg

Looking at your fly above, It looks like you cut the tail fibers to length.

One piece of advice to improve your flies is to NOT cut off the tips of your tailing material  to shorten it to the correct length. Tie it in at the right length and the material will have a natural taper to it.

Proportions are key. Fly proportions are judged relative to the length of the fly body. The hook length determines body length so measure the length of the material whether it be hackle, wings, or tailing material against the hook to determine where the tie in point is on the material to get the right length on the fly.

For example, I tie the hackle on a dry fly about the length of the fly body so to find hackle of the correct length, I measure it against the length of the hook shank. 

35724586945_630b67529b_o.jpg

Proportion is to fly tying what presentation is to fly fishing. 

The proper amount of material placed in the proper relationship to the proper part of the hook in the proper manner results in a well proportioned fly.

Here is some suggested reading to get you on the right track. Copy and paste the links into your browser.

http://www.sexyloops.com/flytying/proportion.shtml

https://www.flyfisherman.com/editorial/tying-flies-beautiful-flies/151957

http://www.derekspace.net/prop.htm

Looks great, especially for a first attempt.  Tie that bad boy on a line and get it wet!    

I would agree with everything SilverCreek said, and as you progress you'll find your own style within those general guidelines.  The only other thing I would work on is not crowding the eye. 

As to wrapping hackle, practice always helps, and the way you first tie it in makes a good deal of difference.  

8 minutes ago, niveker said:

@SilverCreek - check your links.  

They all work. Did you follow the instructions to copy and paste the links rather than click on them?

This BB has disabled the click option to open the link. I suggest that the BB be configured so that clicking the links open in a new page.

6 minutes ago, SilverCreek said:

Did you follow the instructions

LOL - right in front of my face too.  

I expected it this way

Proportions in Flies 

Tested, works.  What am missing?

1 hour ago, niveker said:

LOL - right in front of my face too.  

I expected it this way

Proportions in Flies 

Tested, works.  What am missing?

I still can't get mine to work. Yours does

How did you format the link so that it works?

In the the reply box, clicking the (chain) link button on the top row, brings up an insert link dialogue.  On a windows laptop, not sure if that matters.