Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
flymaster

okuma reel

Hey I jsut saw aon the Troutlet a different reel. The Okuma Airframe LA. It is a carbon fiber reel looks really light and nice appears to have the integrity drag by the pics on the Okuma website. So maybe a good real for the 8wt I hope to be building in a couple of months. The price is so nice at $33.95 not bad at all! Well any feedback will be great.

FM

Heres another worht looking at it the TICA Veteran G series reel @ $52.87 looks nice too. But no pics of the drag system so kinda leave my imagination running. Any experiance out there with that brand?

FM

FM I haven't tried that exact model of Okuma reel but I do own several Okuma Serrias and they are one heck of a nice reel for the price. If that Airframe is anything like the serrias then you'll be happy with it.

I know you said an 8wt...but what type of species are you gonna go after with it?

THe 8wt will be for float tubing, "big river" bass, pike, lake fishing bass, and if I ever get to take a trip for steelhead or salmon. I also have been thinking of doing some local stripper and hybrid fishing. So just a all around rod. I am bad to throw big popper in the rivers that are a little to wind resistant for the 6wt so maybe some of that too. I own a sierra too and the integrity. SO hope it is as good as them but that TICA is nice looking too so who knows!

FM

Only reason I asked is because I really like my Okuma's..but I wondered if Salmon&Steelhead were gonna be on your target list. Just because they are such a hard fighting fast chargeing fish I have seen them make scrap of anything that is not top quality.

That would probably be the only species that would have me a bit worried, but for the price it's worth a try.

SD

It is hard to say if I will ever get up north for the big boys so it will probably be fine. I would be more worried about the drag on the stippers than the salmon though. That is a tank of a fish. But I believe my integrity would handle it. THis reeel looks like the same set up except Carbon fiber frame. Oh well for $33 if they gut it buy something better. But still looking at the TIKA.

FM

I have Okumas reels and I love them I have the Intergerty for steelhead and lake run browns it works great and I have the secira for trout and bass I known the airfram is the cheapest model they make $33 dallors seems high for it I think I paid $35 dallors for the secrira from The contented Angler

Fcflyguy

I am currently using the Okuma Airframe reel for my bass and panfishing. To date it has seved me well, but havent hooked a bruiser bass to test out the drag.

I figure for about $40 (US) its a damn good line holder compared to the $200+ reels out there. I'm not an abuser of equipment so this reel should last for years.

Ive asked around on different forum sites if people would use a $40 composite reel and all you get are up turned noses and sarcastic answers. Not one of them have even tried one out and they know all there is to know about this reel. Ha! Something inexpensive is not always cheap!