Fly Tying
Piker20

Top water Hitchers, Wakers and Skaters

Calling all the salmon fishers on here. Especially those hiding in Norway and Iceland.

Please share your patterns for hitch flies (tube and hook) wake patterns and skate patterns.

With the UK weather on a hot cycle the last couple of years I need to be tying and fishing more of this style if I hope to catch more.

Okay, here are some attempts for hitch, V, wake tubes. SD card is for scale. Too small?? Opinions invitedHitch002_zps5df26e08.jpg

Hitch014_zpsa2f65c81.jpgHitch012_zps65f63058.jpgHitch010_zps76bbe0ed.jpgHitch007_zps25d6069a.jpgHitch004_zps7d7af0cf.jpg

Fluoro fibre over goat for the red wing. All tubes are futurefly 3mm tubing so the hook sits directly in.

The fish will be Atlantic salmon (fingers crossed) and the average is probably 5lb. Some push 20lb but I only have access on lower beat so better fish shoot up into upper beats.

Cool flies! Rifling hitch is such a fun visual way of fishing, using this quite a lot on the small rivers up here in northern norway. Works suprisingly well in colder weather as well, all tho prolly just 1/10 fish that rises actually takes the fly. Still a great way to "shake the pool"!

Couldn't really tell from the pictures, do you make a entry hole for the leader underneath or on the side of the tubes? I usually make the v-shape ving and put the hole underneat to really get the skating effect.

Some holes are to one side and some underneath. Thought it would be handy for different flow pools. I've not had any joy this year on them but only really fished them twice. Certainly upset a big fish in one pool though! I've seen some pre-formed tubes in Mistpool on line shop that have a head shaped like a boat hull and its meant to help them skate in slow flows. Definately going to try again next year if the water levels suit.

Yea prolly true that making holes on the either side has it advantages, depending on what side of the river your fishing from, what side the current is on ect. I'm just to lazy to make different versions hehe.

Had some luck with bombers as well, tho havn't landed any fish on one yet. I find it more difficult to set the hook properly when using thos fat bombers..Yea I've seen those, riffle tubes or something. Looks very exciting, think I'll give 'em a try! One question, is that squirrel you have used for the wing?

Some is squirrel, some fox, goat and bucktail. Again thinking of the pools and speed the fly will be moving. Some pools need the movement in the dressing. Some need a more solid profile. That's the idea anyway.