Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Mr. Trout

Patterns for the Big Head

Up here in the Great White North we do happen to have some really good in land steelhead rivers. The Big Head River in Meaford, Ontario has become one of my favorite rivers. However despite my best efforts I cant seem to find a pattern that consistently catches fish . Anyone here have ever fished it and what worked 4 u?

Hey Mr Trout too bad you didn't make it to our FTF get together on the Bighead in November. The river was low and clear then and not too much action in the upper section. I got a few hits on my Biot Nymph in light and dark green and managed to land a nice steelhead on it.

Ken cool.gif

That would be great I spend alot of time on that river after opener. I would really like to meet some other fly fishers/tyers in that area. You will have to let me know next time you have a meeting there. I really wish there was a better fly shop around there, but I guess with the mobs of float fishers in the area I dont see it happening.

the best fly I found for your area is a picketpin .i have caught every thing from salmon to perch. thi is another fly that looks like nothing seems to fool fish nomatter how its is used .this fly can be tyed in any size and can be fishedas a dry wet or nymph a streamer all with a little change in hook and body size good luck fishing . ilove this fly for my area here on manitoulin island and areas close to me as l live right on the water. tight lines. MIKE

Well being that I am directly across the pond (Owen Sound) from you hopefully it will work. However I have not been able to find a pattern for it maybe you could help?

Mr. Trout,

Welcome!!! To say that we have good steelhead rivers in this part of the province is a fact, as I've been chasing them through Grey/Bruce as well for the past 7 yrs. Wild fish to boot as well, and not stockers.

I was a witness to that fly working. It was nice to see a fly guy getting a fish beside to guys that were floating and not getting hits. I only got a quick look at it that day, but now thanks to Fly1, I now have a pattern to follow. Stone patterns work well on that river as well. Big no. 4's in the fall, down to 10-12's through the winter and into the spring. Starting this year I also started fishing an egg dropper on all my rigs. It helped increase my hookup rate, but not my landing rate. sad.gif

Opener? Time to start making plans devil.gif I'm already starting to think about which river, prescouting trips and such.

Art

Opener? Man I dont even know, The Sydenham, The Beaver, The Big Head, The Sauble, The Saugeen, The Grand, the list goes on and everyone of them is within and hour to my house and are all beatuiful waters for fly fishing, not to mention the hundreds of spring creeks wandering around the countryside up here. But being honest with myself I think I would like to be hookin up with some browns way up on the Syd. Saw a friend of mine hook a small brookie and as he was bringing it in about a 5 or 6 pounder attached itself to his brookie. Ill never forget the look on his face when the brown spit out his brookie right at his feet and continued on his way! bugeyes.gif

Ever since something dunno.gif has drawn me back to that area time and again.