Fly Tying
Roland58

Vise accessory question

The vise I have, that came with the Gander Mountain beginner's kit <am I hearing groans?>, has a coil spring wrapped around the shaft of the vise. Can someone please tell me its' purpose?

Thanks for any responses.......

The spring is a material keeper. When tying in material you will be using in later steps of the fly, you can secure it between the coils of the spring to keep it out of the way as you tie in the materials that need to go on first. For instance, tie in a wire or tinsel rib, secure it in the spring, and then dub or wrap some body material. Then pick up the rib and bring it forward.

Utyer,

Thank you for your quick response. I figured it was for holding material in some manner, but, have never seen it used in any of the tying videos.

Once again, I appreciate your time and quick response.

If you watch the series that Norm has done demonstrating his Norvise Full Rotary vice you will see him using the material holder. The videos are well worth watching anyway, regardless of that or what vice you own . Norm is an unbelieveably smooth tier with some great tips..

Thanks Dave!

Sorry, but, I am a total newbie and do not know who Norm is. Would you, or someone else, please post a link to his videos or provide his last name so I can look him up?

Thank you very much,

Ok sorry. Norm Norlander is his name and the Norvice full ratary vice is his main product. He has a whole series of videos using the vice but I've found I can utilize many of his many techniques on a plain rotary as well, just not as speedy. The video I am linking to should get you too many more videos ( if it goes to a general page, the fly is the cutthoat coachman). In this one he is tying a streamer, it will give you an idea of his methods, though perhaps not exactly about the question you asked. https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?p=norvise+video+series&ei=UTF-8&hspart=mozilla&hsimp=yhs-001