Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Drath

Fishing in/near Williamsburg Virginia

I know this is a fly TYING forum but I’m seeking/begging for help on fishing the Williamsburg area.

My wife and I have a vacation planned in Williamsburg for the week of May 18th-23rd. I’m hoping someone with some fly fishing experience in that region can give some advice. Streams, Lakes, etc? While this won’t be a full on fishing trip, we will be up for a few trips to a stream or lake for a few hours if it’s not too far of a drive. We’d prefer a nice trout stream but any cold or warm water fishery might do the trick.

The place we are staying, Powhatan Resort, has a lake on site. I’ll probably throw a few flies in there but I know nothing about it so advice is welcome on that front as well.

Thanks in advance.

-D

Drath

I was hoping to see some replys to your question, as I will be headed to the Williamsburg area the first weekend in May for a Celtic Festival and to see Albanach.

My wife is into this band Albanach and she set up a weekend trip at some campground that has a warmwater river that runs through it. I will have to get the name and do my research on the area. If I find anything worthwhile, I will post it here. I would prefer a coldwater fishery but looks likely the warm water will be much more convenient.

I am not sure how far you want to drive, but the Shenendoah National Park is not that far from Williamsburg. The James River is not that far away either. Also, if you want to go off shore, Norfolk, Newport News and Hampton are not all that far either. Lots of great fishing in the park particularly in April/May.