Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Druce

egg patterns

anyone ever use egg patterns for fish other than salmon?

anyone ever use egg patterns for fish other than salmon?

I use then for trout and they work well. I make them with glo bug yarn and hot melt glue. I like the glue most of all. One I call my embreyo egg ,I wrap red yarn around the center of the shank then use clear glue.

Kevin

I've caught tons of wild and hatchery fish alike on glo balls and eggs, there is an art to fishing them properly though, they either tend to prefer them bouncing off of the bottom or they want them on the fall. Fishing eggs and glo balls has actually helped me improve my nymphing techniques as well. I fish them often without an indicator just dead drifting. By far one of my best big fish and number of fish producing patterns.

Steve

I've caught tons of wild and hatchery fish alike on glo balls and eggs, there is an art to fishing them properly though, they either tend to prefer them bouncing off of the bottom or they want them on the fall. Fishing eggs and glo balls has actually helped me improve my nymphing techniques as well. I fish them often without an indicator just dead drifting. By far one of my best big fish and number of fish producing patterns.

Steve

steve, if you don't mind me asking what type of fish are you catching on the egg patterns?

steve, if you don't mind me asking what type of fish are you catching on the egg patterns?

Trout for the most part is about the only fish I use eggs for, I know I'm known as a die hard warm water guy around here but when the water get's too hard I go south and fish for trout. My personal best trout was a 28" bow with a 26" girth caught on a 1/125th ounce jig head glow ball (clown color) I pulled him from a really fast riffle dead drifting. I've also caught a ton of browns and other bows on eggs. I use a rig for polish/czech nymphing I call it polock nymphing with 2 glo balls a 1/100 oz. under a 1/125 oz and when the fish get in a feeding mood it is deadly I have had fish move 3ft in fast water to chase down and eat a fly on this rig, I also occasionally will use nymph over the lower glo ball if they don't want to hit the egg but they move after it, I'll catch them on the nymph because they move to look at the egg then hit the nymph...... there are a million ways to fish an egg just try it one way then another then another, you'll find a way that works for you.

Steve

eggs rule........

clear Hot Glue with thread underneath (as stated above) gives a killer look.......when you cool the egg, it gets a milky color to it --

rainbows are egg thieves..........I've caught trout middle of summer on eggs.........before a nice mayfly hatch on eggs.............

browns and brooks will eat eggs too..............

I just started using Bill Skilton's -- Bills micro flash egg yarn -- to make sucker spawn type flies---I call them Crazy Spawn....they look killer and super simple to tie--as most egg patterns are........one little trick really makes this material look killer ( tie in as you would a sucker spawn with a loop in the rear, then twist the 2 pieces of material.........the material coils up on itself and gives a great looking cluster effect to the fly)