Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Fisherboy0301

Maggie Valley, take two!

Heading back to Maggie Valley, NC. Gonna be fishing Johnathon Creek for four days. The 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th of Nov. Air temps look like they'll range anywhere from 9-80 degrees Fahrenheit. I'm not sure what to expect but I suspect a PT or HE nymph drifted under a caddis or a stimulator should do the job. My girlfriend is learning to fly fish. I picked her up a cabelas three forks 3 wt. I have two of these rods now and love them. I use a 4wt for the bass and cats in the pond out back and it's a blast. Hoping she has fun this trip. She got a bit discouraged last time because that creek is just so hard to spin fish. We also picked up some hip waders as it's likely to be colder and we can't wet wade like we did in July.

Maggie Valley is mostly a tourist trap! I've not fished that creek, but, if I were going to be in that area in early Nov., I'd slip over the mountain and fish the Tuckaseege near Sylva. That's a delayed harvest river that gets stocked more heavily than any other stream in NC. The first of Nov. should be great fishing on the Tuck! If your budget allows, hire a guide for best results. They know where the fish are stocked.

Hare's ear nymphs and pheasant tails are always good in NC waters, but I like to use a squirrel leach as well. It's sort of like a mini-wollybugger, and can draw fish like a magnet! I also like to take a few egg patterns that time of year. There's been more than once where a pink egg, with a red blood dot, has saved the day on a DH stream.

While yes Maggie Valley is a tourist trap, hardly anyone fishes in Johnathon Creek! I saw a total of two folks fishing last time (which was when it was warmer and maggie was alive with tourists) one older fellow who gave me great advice, and one young man teaching his young (6 or 7 years old) son how to fish (To whom I passed along the older fellows advice) All the businesses on the creek will gladly allow you acess, and really appreciate you asking before trapsing through their property like some do. Last time i was there, I caught around 20 trout in two full days of fishing ( great compared to one tiny rainbow on my first trip in N. Ga!) Homestly can't afford to get an out of state license and trout permit for both of us, but maggie valley is Mountain Heritage Trout Waters so a $5 license will let me catch all the trout I desire! :)

I remember your report from this summer, and you caught mostly wild rainbows and browns. Beautiful little fish too. I know I'm showing my bias toward wild trout, but I'd stay where you are planning and catch wild fish rather than make a drive to catch hatchery clones, no matter how big or numerous they might be.

Remember that seasons change and different bugs will be hatching than in summer and fish sometimes move as food and water levels change. Also browns and brookies will be in spawning colors and may be on their beds, which may also be in different areas. Here in the west it's considered poor sport to fish for spawners, but it may be different there. If you catch any brookies all painted up in their spawning colors, snap a picture so we can see them, they're beautiful. And I hope your girlfriend does well with the 3 weight, that's what my wife uses and loves it.

hi fisherboy..looks like good tenkara fishing..what was the favored fly on tenkara..thanks..

Elk hair caddis and stimulators. Also caught some on nymph droppers under those. Also on a partridge/yellow forward hackle wet fly.

thanks Fisherboy, i recall that you made up a bunch ofleeches before the trip and was wondering if you tried them..they looked good to me.

I did swing some bunny strip flies in the current, leading to the only brookie of the trip. A nice one. stocker. Not a as large as the one I caught in July though. Same hole.

Some Fish and fisherman/woman pics. Didn't get a pic of her first trout on the fly rod, a pretty rainbow.

2161.JPG

2162.JPG

2164.JPG

2165.JPG

2166.JPG

2168.JPG

2169.JPG

2171.JPG

2172.JPG

2173.JPG

2174.JPG

2175.JPG