Fly Tying
Tailn'Jax

8-11 Flood Tide Redfishing

The marsh flooded well this evening and I was able to get some fishing in before I have to leave for the weekend. Anyway, I found some pretty good fish this evening and ended the night with six. They tailed right up to dark. The first fish of the evening was a pig 27" fish that came in with barely enough water to cover his back. After this fish I left a couple dinks tailing right in front of me to chase what I thought were some other good fish on another flat. It took me a while to get over to the fish, but when I did there was a good group of them working a pretty wide area. I picked off the first one, then I proceeded to catch 4 more in the same general area. It was a great night and the fish were eating. I caught all of the fish on John Bottko's SH Crab. Hope you guys enjoy...

P8110461.jpg

P8110465.jpg\

P8110472.jpg

P8110475.jpg

Good Fishing,

Ryan

Now, that is something I'd like to do! I'm glad you got a picture of a tailing in the grass fish, looks good; really gives a good idea of what you experience. I don't know if I could handle getting a fly to the fish in that jungle of grass. Must be fun.

Have a good trip.

Kirk

Great post! I had wanted to give that a try last Oct. in SC, but the tides that week were so high you couldn't see the grass! <_<

Thanks tidewater, I will tell you that in this type of fishing, if you get there before high tide you will be more successful. Try to find a spot you think has fish and will flood decent and get there an hour or so before the water starts to flood the marsh. The fish will push in on the incoming water and you will be able to find them before the water gets too high.

I agree with Tailin - you got to be on the flat as it starts to flood so you can see how it floods and learn the "routes" the Reds take when they come up into the grass. Depending on the level of the tide you also will find different flats fish differently - we have highs that range from close to 6' all the way upto almost 9' - as you can imagine the difference in spped of flood and depth can make quite a difference.

Glad to see you been getting them Tailin - been messing with some new body materials on one of my patterns seems to have to much flash it in - been spooking fish I would normaly expect to get hits from.

Tailin'Jax, PM sent

Wow, I didn't realize that we had so many folks in this area, maybe we should have a get together for fishing and tying. I live in St. Marys, GA which is an easy trip to Jax, Hilton Head, even Charleston.

Thanks for the advise guys, I'll have to keep that in mind next trip to SC. I've fished in tidal water around the Chesapeake Bay most of my life, but this type of fishing is new to me. I've caught bass in similar situations, but not Redfish. In the areas I've fished here, we don't get Redfish, at least not like you folks do. They come up into the bay, but don't come up this far in enough numbers to target them, especially in the marshes. I've caught them bottom fishing with bait out near the channels, but have yet to catch one on a fly!

Markbob, I'm from up in MD, but do like that area! I was at Pawley's Island last Oct, and have been to both the Charleston & Hilton Head area. My one son was in school at Goose Creek when he was in the Navy, and my wife & I visited him there. Someday I would like to move down to that general area and take advantage of both the inshore saltwater & freshwater fishing!