Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Weather Fact you need to know

Cold Water drops your internal body heat 28 to 35 times faster than air. If you are wading this winter, be aware. If you are boating, be aware. Any time you get wet, get warm immediately. Get out of the wet gear and get to shelter until your stuff is dry. Even damp clothing from excesive sweating or condensation will drop your body temp. Hypothermia is a bitch! The big problem is that you may be suffering from it and not even be aware until the disorientation and hallucinations start!!!! Be safe, and be smart...Tight Lines

Having fished some remote areas of our State I can relate to Hubbard's post. Taking a dump in 32 degree water and being 1+ miles from the nearest road can kill you. This scenerio has played in my mind several times. Instead of risking the walk, I would suggest immediately building a fire and drying ones clothes. Wearing Polar Fleece is probably the best option. It dries in a heartbeat. Somehow, the "extreme float" a few of us have undergone a couple of years ago is a prime example. The day's high was around 15 and the river took us several miles from civilization. There was no way to make it out without seizing up and freezing to death. I'll have to find those pictures. bugeyes.gif

If you are referring to that trip on the PM two years ago, yep it was COLD that whole weekend. Following your boat downstream in the dark at the end of the day was easy though, just follow the glowing fireball.

LOL, I forgot about that one.

I was thinking of the trip down the White. Poor Sean was in a Pontoon. He dropped his reel and it was instantly iced up beyond use.

thank god i normally prefer to walk on top of the water during the wintertime, its cold down below me.

steve

became a victim of hypothermia a few summers ago...that's right, summer.....On a dare, a friend and I waded a very well known tailwater bare legged. It was 97 that day, but the water was still only about 60. When we came out of the water twenty minutes later, I collapsed, vomitted ferociously, lost consciousness and went into shock. Not a pleasant feeling. Spent the night in an ER for observation, where I had to endure a chastising from a physician who was convinced we were either stoned or just plain stupid...truth is, it was a little of both. Hell, I knew better, but a bet is a bet!! wink.gif

another tip is keep a set of warm dry clothes in your vehicle. My buddys and I were fishing the Ausable one cold Feburary morning. My buddy went for a accidental swim and it was around 20 degress that morning. We had quite a walk back to the truck, by the time we got there he was about blue. He stripped down to his underware and luckily my other buddy had a blanket in his truck so he could at least warm up with that. If he had another set of dry clothes he probably would have warmed up quicker and he wouldnt have looked so funny sitting in his underware with a blanket around him in the McDonalds drive thru in Tawas. Ever since that day I always take a extra set of clothes with me.

very good idea!!!!

One of our members, regretfully , was the victim of frostbite lately....makes you realize how important it is to be aware of the weather and how it effects your body!

Kevin, I wish you a speedy recovery and my thoughts are with you!

Polar Fleece is a good suggestion. Remember your feet! I usually carry a small backpack with a sandwich, water, rainjacket, cell phone (although the signal is usually non-existant to poor at best), wooden matches (waxed) and a SPARE PAIR OF SOCKS!! Alternatively, you can also store a spare pair in a plastic baggie and put in into your wading vest.

John

In Cold Whether Periods I mostly wear silk/polyester and wools. When wool gets wet, it will retain your body heat.

I always use One Major Rule that I remember is that Cotton Kills.

Cotton looses body heat and it will not retain heat. sad.gif

Sign in to follow this